Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

FIRST YEAR A-LEVEL STUDENT HELL...U to A, D to A*??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Started My A-LEVEL not long ago... Had a few Mock Exams and Ive gotten my results. U's and D's. I REALLY want to work hard and improve those grades EXPONENTIALLY but is it possible... Like reaaaaaaalisticly be critical - is it possible for me to go from U's and D's to A's and A*'s? I'm determined to turn this around but do you think realistically it's possible or am I being dreamy.

See I'll be straight out - My dream is to go to UCL. And I NEED As and A*s... Can I do it?
    Also I've not really seen rough start to A Levels be spoken about - it's so crushing and makes you feel lonely... Has anyone had any experiences or turned things around like that before?

No matter what Im determined.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You'll definitely turn it around because you sound very determined.
    Keep going with the hard work and you'll see your grades improving.
    I started off getting C's and D's in tests but after putting in hard work I got 4As at the end of the first year.
    Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    sure. I got U/E in chem/maths respectively in my mocks. Got B/A at the end. im sure loads of people have similar experiences. mocks serve more as a slap to the face to work harder imo, rather than a prediction of your final exam performance

ReputationRep:
    At the beginning of year 12 I was getting Ds and Es but in my exams I got AABC, if you put in the revision and work hard its totally possible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Somebody)
    You'll definitely turn it around because you sound very determined.
    Keep going with the hard work and you'll see your grades improving.
    I started off getting C's and D's in tests but after putting in hard work I got 4As at the end of the first year.
    Good luck!!!
    Thank You!!!! Do you have any tips or study tips that I should use? Do you mind if I ask was what subjects you took?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arima)
    sure. I got U/E in chem/maths respectively in my mocks. Got B/A at the end. im sure loads of people have similar experiences. mocks serve more as a slap to the face to work harder imo, rather than a prediction of your final exam performance
    Definitely I agree... A right slap in the face 😔 I'm trying to not break down because of it rather grow stronger 👊. Reassuring to finally find someone from Math/Sciences... Thank you so much! Is there any studying tips or studying styles I should adopt...how many hours should I revise etc??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostplot)
    Thank You!!!! Do you have any tips or study tips that I should use? Do you mind if I ask was what subjects you took?
    I did maths,chemistry, physics and biology.
    I mostly just summarised notes and did lots and lots of past paper questions.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is. At the start of the year I was getting E's and U's in my practice papers and D's in my mocks. At the end of the year I came out with a decently high A. It wasnt as high as I wanted, but it was enough for me to be predicted the grade I wanted this year.

You just need to put in a lot of work mainly by doing questions by topic and then when you finished the syllabus for that year, practice papers.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone gets Us and Ds in their first mocks lol. Its then they realise that it isn't GCSE anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Most people go down to d’s & u’s at the start of a level, you will gradually progress through the year as long as you work hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Somebody)
    I did maths,chemistry, physics and biology.
    I mostly just summarised notes and did lots and lots of past paper questions.
    Wow... Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aceofall)
    Yes it is. At the start of the year I was getting E's and U's in my practice papers and D's in my mocks. At the end of the year I came out with a decently high A. It wasnt as high as I wanted, but it was enough for me to be predicted the grade I wanted this year.

You just need to put in a lot of work mainly by doing questions by topic and then when you finished the syllabus for that year, practice papers.
    Thank you so much! It's much better to know I'm not the only one but I'm sure you put in the work; therefore the outcome. I'm much much much more motivated to put in the effort now - thank you!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttyy)
    Everyone gets Us and Ds in their first mocks lol. Its then they realise that it isn't GCSE anymore.
    I guess so, definatley a wake up call... It's just majority of the people I'm my year are actually doing well - I'm just so confused and lost. I hope it's just a rough start, I'm gonna definatley work up

ReputationRep:
    It's possible!! Someone in the year above in my school got a D in as levels and did so much work and got an A!!! And this was in chemistry!! So it is possible!! Just hard work and dedication!!

ReputationRep:
    As someone that achieved a U in AS chemistry and an A in A2 it is possible but it takes a crazy amount of work and you really have to be motivated! Past papers are an invaluable source and personally I feel made the difference between a C/B and an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by btsseokjin)
    It's possible!! Someone in the year above in my school got a D in as levels and did so much work and got an A!!! And this was in chemistry!! So it is possible!! Just hard work and dedication!!
    Thank you so much! Im feeling much more determined to do well! Im starting t=now but 2018 will be my year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VMD100)
    As someone that achieved a U in AS chemistry and an A in A2 it is possible but it takes a crazy amount of work and you really have to be motivated! Past papers are an invaluable source and personally I feel made the difference between a C/B and an A
    Wow Chemistry is difficult too but what about predicted grades and Uni? Was that not affected??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lostplot)
    Thank you so much! Im feeling much more determined to do well! Im starting t=now but 2018 will be my year!
    Good Luck!!! I hope it all goes well!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.