Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently study BTEC Business at Level 3 and my predicted grades are DMM/DDM. I would like to study Aerospace engineering at university however, I do not have GCSE physics or any science related qualifications. I have my Maths and English GCSE's, BTEC level 2 in computing and my current course which will finish in a year time.

ReputationRep:
    Look up the uni/course you are considering and it will tell you what the entry requirements are. Typically they want maths and physics at a level. If you're doing a BTEC they often still want a level maths and they would want it to be in a relevant subject (not business). Take a look at some of the lower ranked unis and see if you are eligible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have checked the entry requirements: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...tion-year.aspx I have everything they want except the GCSE physical science, I will also achieve a higher BTEC grade than the one stated on their site. Is there anyway of getting in? Shall I contact them and explain the situation or is it a straight decline? Thanks for your help
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4tahan)
    I have checked the entry requirements: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...tion-year.aspx I have everything they want except the GCSE physical science, I will also achieve a higher BTEC grade than the one stated on their site. Is there anyway of getting in? Shall I contact them and explain the situation or is it a straight decline? Thanks for your help
    Speak to Brighton. Only they can give you a definitive answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very few places will take applicants who don’t have maths and physics alevel

ReputationRep:
    Isn’t the foundation year intended to teach those two core subjects?

ReputationRep:
    gah if only you took BTEC in engineering instead! .. you wouldn't have to worry about physics / maths then >_< ... well only maths if you wanted to go to an RG or oxbridge but still...it's unfortunate. Just e-mail a few universities that offer the BEng Aerospace course and ask if they would consider your qualifications. You might end up having to do a foundation year...but if it's something you really want to do it will be worth it! Apart from that i'm not sure what else you can try but gl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    gah if only you took BTEC in engineering instead! .. you wouldn't have to worry about physics / maths then >_< ... well only maths if you wanted to go to an RG or oxbridge but still...it's unfortunate. Just e-mail a few universities that offer the BEng Aerospace course and ask if they would consider your qualifications. You might end up having to do a foundation year...but if it's something you really want to do it will be worth it! Apart from that i'm not sure what else you can try but gl
    Yeahh I meant would they accept me for the foundation year with these current qualifications? Idm doing a foundation year as long as they accept me for it, it’s just I don’t have GCSE physics

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I meant would they accept me for the foundation year with these current qualifications? Idm doing a foundation year as long as they accept me for it, it’s just I don’t have GCSE physics
    Not sure about Brighton but i had a look at another university (Teesside) that does an Aerospace course with a foundation year to see what their entry qualifications were like.

On their site it says:

"Guaranteed Place Scheme (for UK/EU students only)
    If you have completed Level 3 qualifications (for example AS Levels, BTEC Nationals) and have at least five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and mathematics, you may be eligible for a guaranteed place on an extended degree course in your chosen subject whilst still working towards meeting the conditions required for a course with higher entry requirements."

So it is definitely possible to do the course you want to do with your current qualifications you just need to spend a little time looking for the universities which might accept you. Teesside was just literally the first one i happened to click on so i'm sure there is more! >_<

Edit: Here is the link to the Teesside site if your interested : http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_...(Extended).cfm
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    You need to call Brighton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need qualifications for every opportunity

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.