Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I currently study BTEC Business at Level 3 and my predicted grades are DMM/DDM. I would like to study Aerospace engineering at university however, I do not have GCSE physics or any science related qualifications. I have my Maths and English GCSE's, BTEC level 2 in computing and my current course which will finish in a year time.

ReputationRep:
    Look up the uni/course you are considering and it will tell you what the entry requirements are. Typically they want maths and physics at a level. If you're doing a BTEC they often still want a level maths and they would want it to be in a relevant subject (not business). Take a look at some of the lower ranked unis and see if you are eligible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I have checked the entry requirements: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...tion-year.aspx I have everything they want except the GCSE physical science, I will also achieve a higher BTEC grade than the one stated on their site. Is there anyway of getting in? Shall I contact them and explain the situation or is it a straight decline? Thanks for your help
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by 4tahan)
    I have checked the entry requirements: https://www.brighton.ac.uk/courses/s...tion-year.aspx I have everything they want except the GCSE physical science, I will also achieve a higher BTEC grade than the one stated on their site. Is there anyway of getting in? Shall I contact them and explain the situation or is it a straight decline? Thanks for your help
    Speak to Brighton. Only they can give you a definitive answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Very few places will take applicants who don’t have maths and physics alevel

ReputationRep:
    Isn’t the foundation year intended to teach those two core subjects?

ReputationRep:
    gah if only you took BTEC in engineering instead! .. you wouldn't have to worry about physics / maths then >_< ... well only maths if you wanted to go to an RG or oxbridge but still...it's unfortunate. Just e-mail a few universities that offer the BEng Aerospace course and ask if they would consider your qualifications. You might end up having to do a foundation year...but if it's something you really want to do it will be worth it! Apart from that i'm not sure what else you can try but gl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froppy)
    gah if only you took BTEC in engineering instead! .. you wouldn't have to worry about physics / maths then >_< ... well only maths if you wanted to go to an RG or oxbridge but still...it's unfortunate. Just e-mail a few universities that offer the BEng Aerospace course and ask if they would consider your qualifications. You might end up having to do a foundation year...but if it's something you really want to do it will be worth it! Apart from that i'm not sure what else you can try but gl
    Yeahh I meant would they accept me for the foundation year with these current qualifications? Idm doing a foundation year as long as they accept me for it, it’s just I don’t have GCSE physics

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I meant would they accept me for the foundation year with these current qualifications? Idm doing a foundation year as long as they accept me for it, it’s just I don’t have GCSE physics
    Not sure about Brighton but i had a look at another university (Teesside) that does an Aerospace course with a foundation year to see what their entry qualifications were like.

On their site it says:

"Guaranteed Place Scheme (for UK/EU students only)
    If you have completed Level 3 qualifications (for example AS Levels, BTEC Nationals) and have at least five GCSEs at grade C or above, including English and mathematics, you may be eligible for a guaranteed place on an extended degree course in your chosen subject whilst still working towards meeting the conditions required for a course with higher entry requirements."

So it is definitely possible to do the course you want to do with your current qualifications you just need to spend a little time looking for the universities which might accept you. Teesside was just literally the first one i happened to click on so i'm sure there is more! >_<

Edit: Here is the link to the Teesside site if your interested : http://www.tees.ac.uk/undergraduate_...(Extended).cfm
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    You need to call Brighton.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You need qualifications for every opportunity

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.