Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this a good ISA? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    2.4% interest on a five year period. I'd put in £500 and add £50 each month, which would make me £750 in interest. I'm a student btw

ReputationRep:
    Not too bad but depends whatyou want, security or high returns?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Not too bad but depends whatyou want, security or high returns?
    I think I may put aside £100 for a more high-risk investment. If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allemagne)
    I think I may put aside £100 for a more high-risk investment. If you have any suggestions I'd like to hear them
    Well if you want a somewhat secure investment i'd suggest, if you're able to, to invest it abroad... I have the lions share of my savings in an overseas high interest account which earns 5pc. The only issue is its subject to exchange rate fluctuation e.g. my exchange rate has been fluctuating by as much as 30c to the pound this year thanks to Brexit -.-

Another thing to do is find a broker to put your money into the stock market or investment funds. there are several around these days dedicated to millennial type investors. that is to say you pay a yearly fee and they invest your money for you, I use 'sharesies' to invest a couple of thousand dollars across NZ and AUZ, i know theres a few in america and i assume some in Britain but generally speaking theyre low risk and easy to use for someone new to investing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Well if you want a somewhat secure investment i'd suggest, if you're able to, to invest it abroad... I have the lions share of my savings in an overseas high interest account which earns 5pc. The only issue is its subject to exchange rate fluctuation e.g. my exchange rate has been fluctuating by as much as 30c to the pound this year thanks to Brexit -.-

Another thing to do is find a broker to put your money into the stock market or investment funds. there are several around these days dedicated to millennial type investors. that is to say you pay a yearly fee and they invest your money for you, I use 'sharesies' to invest a couple of thousand dollars across NZ and AUZ, i know theres a few in america and i assume some in Britain but generally speaking theyre low risk and easy to use for someone new to investing.
    Thank you. What do you think about this website? https://www.assetzcapital.co.uk/
    I'd go for the 30 day account

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. What do you think about this website? https://www.assetzcapital.co.uk/
    I'd go for the 30 day account
    From a very cursory overview i'd be wary of it, i mean i dont see anything overtly wrong with it but whenever i invest money i like to know exactly where its going and what security is taken.
    I mean this opinion just stems from a very brief overview of said account details but as a general rule of thumb avoid crowd funding type sites unless you're comfortable with a higher degree of risk, they tend to [not universally] lend to far more risky clients than an established broker or mutual fund. I mean for £100 i would give it a go, to test the water as it were, but always be weary and get as much background information as possible
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    2.4% interest on a five year period. I'd put in £500 and add £50 each month, which would make me £750 in interest. I'm a student btw
    How would that make you £750 in interest? That would net you just short of £280 in interest based on my quick spreadsheet calculation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    How would that make you £750 in interest? That would net you just short of £280 in interest based on my quick spreadsheet calculation!
    correct

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.