Turn on thread page Beta

what is the little 2 in a chemistry equation? watch

ReputationRep:
    So if Cl^2 is one mole of Cl why can't you just write Cl because it makes sense to
    me that that shows one mole. Why do you have to add the ^2?

ReputationRep:
    Cause it's a mole of diatomic chlorine, not a mole of chlorine atoms.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Cl can never exist on it's own, Diatomic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onceandnever)
    So if Cl^2 is one mole of Cl why can't you just write Cl because it makes sense to
    It like you've never listened to anything your chemistry teacher has ever said...

ReputationRep:
    Diatomic g.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texxers)
    Cl can never exist on it's own, Diatomic...
    It can actually, but not for very long

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    It like you've never listened to anything your chemistry teacher has ever said...
    I do I just don't understand science very well... at least I'm asking...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hjy7yihujk)
    It can actually, but not for very long
    Well yeah as a highly reactive radical lol..

#OzoneLaws!

ReputationRep:
    They're diatomic molecules. It needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

Have No Fear Of Ice Cold Beer

This mnemonic will help you in exams when you need to maybe write an equation! Hope this helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReadilySalted)
    They're diatomic molecules. All elements in group 7 can't be stable on it's own, it needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

This mnemonic will help you in exams when you need to maybe write an equation! Hope this helps!!
    thank you! That's cleared it all up for me aha

ReputationRep:
    thank you! That's cleared it all up for me aha
    Sorry, i didn't mean to put the group 7 part of the periodic table, iv'e edited my other one! And no problem, that's what TSR is made for!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    Some people find things harder to grasp when compared to others. No need to hate on that person. It's like you never actually learnt to actually realize how what you say can impact someone. The whole point of TSR is to help people out and asking questions on things you might have, don't act like you know everything.:stupid::stupid::stupid::stupid:

ReputationRep:
    What did At do to upset you? (or more likely your teacher)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itxarinix)
    The whole point of TSR is to help people out
    You haven't been here long, have you?

ReputationRep:
    The Cl2 shows that it's two Cl atoms joined together to make a molecule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    What did At do to upset you? (or more likely your teacher)
    Apparently scientists haven't observed diatomic astatine and aren't even sure if it exists. It's just too difficult to deal with. From Wikipedia:

"A visible piece of astatine would immediately vaporize itself because of the heat generated by its intense radioactivity."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    From Wikipedia:
    Had you read on:

"Evidence for (or against) the existence of diatomic astatine (At2) is sparse and inconclusive. Some sources state that it does not exist, or at least has never been observed, while other sources assert or imply its existence."

ReputationRep:
    They're diatomic molecules. It needs to be covalently bonded with another molecule of the same element, therefore Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Fluorine, Oxygen, Iodine, Chlorine and Bromine always come in 2 molecules. To remember this, use this mnemonic!

AlCl3 fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    AlCl3 fam
    Yes my brudder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pigster)
    Had you read on:

"Evidence for (or against) the existence of diatomic astatine (At2) is sparse and inconclusive. Some sources state that it does not exist, or at least has never been observed, while other sources assert or imply its existence."
    I read that. We can't say for sure whether it exists. Since the other halogens are diatomic it might make sense for astantine to be as well, but you can't just assume a pattern will continue indefinitely.

In any case it probably makes little difference because nobody really works with astatine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 6, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.