Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m a 16 year old female who has just began college (I’m doing games development) however, I have really wanted to join the army for the past few months. I thought I’d explore my options by going to college first but I do not enjoy it that much and the urge to join the army is so strong, however I am scared I will miss out by not finishing college, going to uni etc. Any tips/advice on how I can make up my mind?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Do your research on joining the army and then weigh up the pros and cons. Ask family and friends for advice too.

ReputationRep:
    What made you want to join the army? Perhaps ask teachers and ex-servicemen what they think?

ReputationRep:
    Speak to your college careers adviser. At m sixth form our careers adviser works closely with the army recruitment and they come in and give us workshops and talks. It will help you to explore the prospect of joining the army and army life. Also do consider how games development is quite different to the army and weigh up which you would prefer. Forget about how hard each of the processes our, but think of yourself 10 years down the line. Would you rather be working in the game industry or in the army?

ReputationRep:
    The Army will always be there, the opportunity to study for qualifications in full time education will not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SL3)
    I’m a 16 year old female who has just began college (I’m doing games development) however, I have really wanted to join the army for the past few months. I thought I’d explore my options by going to college first but I do not enjoy it that much and the urge to join the army is so strong, however I am scared I will miss out by not finishing college, going to uni etc. Any tips/advice on how I can make up my mind?
    If you want to be sent to North Korea when we inevitably wade into a war that has nothing to with us and get blown up, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    All i say is, if you join say good bye to any form of certainty in your life. Also say goodbye to being able to use things such as storerooms for their intemded purpose as apparently their supppsed to be empty showpieces for inspections. Also wait til you are 18, everyone i know who joined at 16 says its too young and they wish they'd waited.

ReputationRep:
    Make the decision when you're 18. Finish college and see what you want to do then. If you are not sure that the army is for you but want to experience then join the Reserve's. It gives you the chance to get a taste of army life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.