Turn on thread page Beta

How many hours can you work a week as a full time student in the uk? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jlf98)
    Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?
    I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?

ReputationRep:
    I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?
    Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jlf98)
    Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?
    I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiepearce0)
    I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    correct me if im wrong, but I dont think there is a legal limit unless you’re under 18 in which case you can’t work more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week. in any case, if you're a full time student and want a 2:1 or first at Uni, it seems silly to work anymore than aroun 15hrs per week.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    GJ op for providing useful information so people can provide you with the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    The terms of a student visa usually say a max of 20 hours a week. But unis might have their own guidelines on how many hours a home student is "allowed" to work. Not much they can do if you work more, though.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.