The Student Room Group

How many hours can you work a week as a full time student in the uk?

Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?
Original post by jlf98
Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?

I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?
I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?

Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?
Original post by jlf98
Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?

I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.
Reply 5
I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.

Oh okay thanks
Reply 6
Original post by sophiepearce0
I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work

Oh okay thanks
Reply 7
correct me if im wrong, but I dont think there is a legal limit unless you’re under 18 in which case you can’t work more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week. in any case, if you're a full time student and want a 2:1 or first at Uni, it seems silly to work anymore than aroun 15hrs per week.
GJ op for providing useful information so people can provide you with the right answer.

The terms of a student visa usually say a max of 20 hours a week. But unis might have their own guidelines on how many hours a home student is "allowed" to work. Not much they can do if you work more, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending