Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many hours can you work a week as a full time student in the uk? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jlf98)
    Is there a certain amount of hours you are allowed to work as a uk full time student. I got told you could only work 20hours a week is this true?
    I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?

ReputationRep:
    I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue_Cow)
    I thought such restrictions were only placed on internationals?
    Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jlf98)
    Oh I'm not sure I just heard it was 20 hours per week for Everyone is this not true ?
    I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not legally trained, but I'm pretty confident that the 20 hr limit (or any other limit) only applies to internationals.
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiepearce0)
    I’m not sure there’s a legal restriction but my college recommended less than 12 hours a week as it can have a negative impact on your college work
    Oh okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    correct me if im wrong, but I dont think there is a legal limit unless you’re under 18 in which case you can’t work more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours a week. in any case, if you're a full time student and want a 2:1 or first at Uni, it seems silly to work anymore than aroun 15hrs per week.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    GJ op for providing useful information so people can provide you with the right answer.

ReputationRep:
    The terms of a student visa usually say a max of 20 hours a week. But unis might have their own guidelines on how many hours a home student is "allowed" to work. Not much they can do if you work more, though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.