Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for sociology?

I'm trying to revise AS Topics (Family, educations and research methods) whilst learning A2 topics (crime and deviance (idk the other topic we are doing).

I don't think my AS notes are detailed enough and I have purchased the wrong revision books

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kayeen)
    Does anyone have any tips on how to revise for sociology?

I'm trying to revise AS Topics (Family, educations and research methods) whilst learning A2 topics (crime and deviance (idk the other topic we are doing).

I don't think my AS notes are detailed enough and I have purchased the wrong revision books
    Didn't your teacher give you a pile of notes with a list of researcher names, terms etc?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’m the same position and feel like I have no time to revise whilst also learning but the best thing I can recommend is getting the right book (either by the library or even buying will be worth it in the end) in my book they have quick check questions at the end of each topic hopefully yours is the same. If not try using resources on here for quick revision and watching YouTube videos as supplements. When you have the time try doing AS exam questions and re-making notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-Barista)
    Didn't your teacher give you a pile of notes with a list of researcher names, terms etc?
    We have been given a load of sheets of paper and I have no idea where to start. I have the researchers and all the notes but I don't think that they explain much. They're too vague and bullet pointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophiepearce0)
    I’m the same position and feel like I have no time to revise whilst also learning but the best thing I can recommend is getting the right book (either by the library or even buying will be worth it in the end) in my book they have quick check questions at the end of each topic hopefully yours is the same. If not try using resources on here for quick revision and watching YouTube videos as supplements. When you have the time try doing AS exam questions and re-making notes
    Mee too, like when I do actually get round to revising i'm just really clueless and I don't know where to start. I shall look into getting the new sociology revision guide. Do you perhaps have any recommendations for youtubers who do sociology?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the best book for AQA and also have any revision resources they wouldnt mind sending to me?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20171106_184939-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  116.2 KB
    Name:  20171106_185426-1-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 17
Size:  109.0 KB
    Name:  20171106_190238-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  101.6 KB

Like this?

ReputationRep:
    Mee too, like when I do actually get round to revising i'm just really clueless and I don't know where to start. I shall look into getting the new sociology revision guide. Do you perhaps have any recommendations for youtubers who do sociology?
    I haven’t found any particularly good ones which are specifically for the specification but crash course have general sociology videos and if you search your topic, ie ‘labelling theory in crime and deviance’ you’ll find some stuff

ReputationRep:
    we don't even have that, i'm just using the names in my notes that i copied from the powerpoints. What exam board are you? I recognise some of the sociologists e.g. Murdok, Ann Oakley, Engels, Karl Marx, Dobash and Dobash, Murray, Durkheim, Parsons etc

Like this?

ReputationRep:

Like this?
    Yes!

ReputationRep:
    we don't even have that, i'm just using the names in my notes that i copied from the powerpoints. What exam board are you? I recognise some of the sociologists e.g. Murdok, Ann Oakley, Engels, Karl Marx, Dobash and Dobash, Murray, Durkheim, Parsons etc
    A level 6th form work

ReputationRep:
    If you want I can post more stuff, including notes on education (if I can find it) and research methods :/

ReputationRep:
    A level 6th form work
    Are you/were you AQA or OCR?

ReputationRep:
    If you want I can post more stuff, including notes on education (if I can find it) and research methods :/
    That would be great and very helpful thank you!

Also, do you happen to know how to do essay plans?

i'm not sure if this counts but I find that if i answered a question using my notes and then remebering it from there is much easy than remembering just the content on its own? (if you get what I mean) is this/would this be classed as an essay plan? or do you have to plan the essay from memory?

ReputationRep:
    Are you/were you AQA or OCR?
    Aqa? (I dunno, I'm pretty stupid tbh)

ReputationRep:
    Aqa? (I dunno, I'm pretty stupid tbh)
    i'm sure you're not!

ReputationRep:
    That would be great and very helpful thank you!

Also, do you happen to know how to do essay plans?

i'm not sure if this counts but I find that if i answered a question using my notes and then remebering it from there is much easy than remembering just the content on its own? (if you get what I mean) is this/would this be classed as an essay plan? or do you have to plan the essay from memory?
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, sorry.
    Also, I don't think I have notes showing how to plan an essay as I was mainly taught in class.

All you mainly need to do it introduce the discussion and define the terms at the start. Then have 3 paragraphs that might agree or disagree with the argument, afterwards do a paragraph for each sociological theory like Marxist and say their opinion on the subject. Then finally at the end do a conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not entirely sure what you mean, sorry.
    Also, I don't think I have notes showing how to plan an essay as I was mainly taught in class.

All you mainly need to do it introduce the discussion and define the terms at the start. Then have 3 paragraphs that might agree or disagree with the argument, afterwards do a paragraph for each sociological theory like Marxist and say their opinion on the subject. Then finally at the end do a conclusion.
    ah its hard to explain but thanks anyways!

ReputationRep:
    Here's one sheet Name:  20171106_194740-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 11
Size:  127.8 KBName:  20171106_194745-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  120.3 KBName:  20171106_194758-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  107.9 KBName:  20171106_194803-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  101.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20171106_195058-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  97.4 KBName:  20171106_195117-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  118.1 KBName:  20171106_195125-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  97.4 KBName:  20171106_195221-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  91.3 KBName:  20171106_195210-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  96.8 KBName:  20171106_195202-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  102.6 KBName:  20171106_195140-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Size:  126.3 KB

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.