The Student Room Group

Help me pick my A-Levels!

Hi,
I'm in year 11 and struggling to decide what I would like to study for A-Levels. I'm currently looking at two sixth foms, one attached to the local, mixed,comprehensive school I currently go to and one attached to a single-sex girls' grammar school in the next county which is about an hour and fifteen minutes away door-to-door by bus. My current school is a "true" comprehensive in the sense that there are no grammar schools in my county so it contains a wide range of ability, but has fairly relaxed minimum reauirrements for its sixth form. I was at the girls' school in year 7 and had to move due to a change in family circumstances but I would be able to return if I wanted to.

I'm quite high-achiving academically, targetted grade nines in all my subjects, however I realise that this is unrealistic and I'll more likely get a mixture of sevens, eights and nines. My present career ambition is to be a lawyer but I'm also considering journalim or a career in the Civil Service.

I know that I definitely want to do History and English Literature for my A-Levels but am trying to decide on a third or possibly a fourth choice. If I was to stay at my present school I'd probably pick Maths and maybe Further Maths although Maths is one of the subjects I have to work hardest at to achieve a good grade. If I went to the girls' schoo, my considerations would be Maths, Further Maths, Government and Politics or Philosophy and Ethics.

Please could you tell me about your experiences relating to these subjects, especially if you've done three or four essay-heavy A-Levels. Any other advice in relation to which sixth form to pick would be very much appreciated!
Reply 1
Hi! Not that i can be of any help, but im in the same situation and i hope you do great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest