Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling to find a University that offers Geography and Maths together Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my heart set on studying both Geography and Maths at uni but I'm struggling to fill my 5 options.
    I'm certainly applying for Exeter's flexible combined honours (with study abroad)
    and that's where I'm hitting a brick wall.
    Any help is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I just did a search using which university, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool Hope, Worcester, Keele and St Andrews seem to offer degrees with Maths and Geography

https://university.which.co.uk/search/course?c[q]=geography%20and%20maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElliotMuz)
    I have my heart set on studying both Geography and Maths at uni but I'm struggling to fill my 5 options.
    I'm certainly applying for Exeter's flexible combined honours (with study abroad)
    You could potentially look at more natural science orientated degrees as well as some of these allow you to study maths and geography, although you may have to study another science at least for awhile. I'm pretty sure it is possible to study maths and geography within the natural sciences course at Durham for example. If you're still stuck for choices, you could look into straight geography degrees that have a relatively large mathematical content or one where you can pick optional modules in maths. You could also look at flexible honours/liberal arts at other universities such as Birmingham and see where that takes you. You might have to get slightly creative though to fill your options.

ReputationRep:
    Combined degrees in Maths and Geography can also be found at Keele, Worcester and Liverpool Hope as joint degrees. Remember that you don't have to fill all 5 options if you can't find 5 courses which appeal to you
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    On top of the above suggestions, have you maybe considered studying a subject including a lot of geography and maths, such as geophysics?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You've had plenty of good suggestions above, one thing I would say to be careful of is the way that the degree is structured.:yep: Some universities will offer fantastic provision for joint (or Combined) honours, Newcastle is a good example. Other universities will literally just take two halfs of a degree and shove them together with little coherence, so be careful.

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum where more people will contribute if they wish.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you I would stick with one course.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    What are you hoping to do after uni with a degree like that?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi ElliotMuz :hello:

If you have any specific questions about the Maths and Geography combined course, I am more than happy to help. I can also ask our academics if you want to know anything subject specific.

I would also advise that you attend some Open Days where you can attend subject talks and ask any questions to the academics directly whilst also getting a feel for the university.

Hope This Helps

Ruth

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.