Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you learning to drive in a manual or automatic car? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which kind of car are you learning to drive?
    Manual
    80.00%
    Automatic
    20.00%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I passed the automatic test after 1 two hour lesson and a few hours practice in a friend's car.

**** manuals.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I passed the automatic test after 1 two hour lesson and a few hours practice in a friend's car.

**** manuals.
    Yes, yes don't rub it in :laugh:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rum Ham)
    Yes, yes don't rub it in :laugh:

I get too much anxiety to drive a manual
    Plus they're pretty rare here anyway. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    An automatic licence is like buying lean mincemeat to make burgers. Tastes ****ing ****

Manual licence is like an 80:20 split fat mincemeat. Much better.

jk

ReputationRep:
    Passed in a manual, but I think the stick about automatics is starting to fade. Autos back in the day were a completer waste of space, more expensive, less economical so learning manual was a no brainer. Nowadays, automatics are on par with and sometimes better than their manual counterparts
    The only reason I would suggest learning in a manual is so you are licensed to drive one should the need arise, never know when you need to drive a drunk mate home or something

ReputationRep:
    as much as I hate dealing with gears sometimes
    After a few months behind the wheel you barely even notice tbh, you just do it on autopilot.

Far better to have the ability to drive whatever.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Are manual and automatic lessons usually the same price? I know it'll vary from instructor but in general, are they usually the same price or is one more expensive than the other? Just asking because my 1 hour lesson in a manual car costs £20 whereas my mum's 1 hour lesson in an automatic costs £26. We are both with different instructors so that's one reason for the difference in price but I was wondering if the type of car would influence the price too?

ReputationRep:
    Are manual and automatic lessons usually the same price? I know it'll vary from instructor but in general, are they usually the same price or is one more expensive than the other? Just asking because my 1 hour lesson in a manual car costs £20 whereas my mum's 1 hour lesson in an automatic costs £26. We are both with different instructors so that's one reason for the difference in price but I was wondering if the type of car would influence the price too?
    From experience, automatic lessons are a lot more expensive.

Probably because the demand for automatic lessons are lower? So perhaps fewer customers meaning they need to inflate the price a bit to compensate? I'm not sure!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.