Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you learning to drive in a manual or automatic car? watch

• View Poll Results: Which kind of car are you learning to drive?
    Manual
    72.73%
    Automatic
    27.27%

ReputationRep:
    I passed the automatic test after 1 two hour lesson and a few hours practice in a friend's car.

**** manuals.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I passed the automatic test after 1 two hour lesson and a few hours practice in a friend's car.

**** manuals.
    Yes, yes don't rub it in :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rum Ham)
    Yes, yes don't rub it in :laugh:

I get too much anxiety to drive a manual
    Plus they're pretty rare here anyway. :dontknow:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    An automatic licence is like buying lean mincemeat to make burgers. Tastes ****ing ****

Manual licence is like an 80:20 split fat mincemeat. Much better.

jk

ReputationRep:
    Passed in a manual, but I think the stick about automatics is starting to fade. Autos back in the day were a completer waste of space, more expensive, less economical so learning manual was a no brainer. Nowadays, automatics are on par with and sometimes better than their manual counterparts
    The only reason I would suggest learning in a manual is so you are licensed to drive one should the need arise, never know when you need to drive a drunk mate home or something

ReputationRep:
    as much as I hate dealing with gears sometimes
    After a few months behind the wheel you barely even notice tbh, you just do it on autopilot.

Far better to have the ability to drive whatever.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Are manual and automatic lessons usually the same price? I know it'll vary from instructor but in general, are they usually the same price or is one more expensive than the other? Just asking because my 1 hour lesson in a manual car costs £20 whereas my mum's 1 hour lesson in an automatic costs £26. We are both with different instructors so that's one reason for the difference in price but I was wondering if the type of car would influence the price too?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Are manual and automatic lessons usually the same price? I know it'll vary from instructor but in general, are they usually the same price or is one more expensive than the other? Just asking because my 1 hour lesson in a manual car costs £20 whereas my mum's 1 hour lesson in an automatic costs £26. We are both with different instructors so that's one reason for the difference in price but I was wondering if the type of car would influence the price too?
    From experience, automatic lessons are a lot more expensive.

Probably because the demand for automatic lessons are lower? So perhaps fewer customers meaning they need to inflate the price a bit to compensate? I'm not sure!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.