Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Help! I scraped someone's car! Watch

ReputationRep:
    The other day I accidently hit another car when I was reversing out! I have been contacting them and said I would pay privately instead of through insurance as I'm a young driver and they were very kind about it. However they have given me a quote and it's extortionately high! I was wondering if someone could give me another idea of a price as I can't get a quote from garages around me until tomorrow and I'm very stressed out!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  106.1 KB
    (Original post by Carterbethany02)
    The other day I accidently hit another car when I was reversing out! I have been contacting them and said I would pay privately instead of through insurance as I'm a young driver and they were very kind about it. However they have given me a quote and it's extortionately high! I was wondering if someone could give me another idea of a price as I can't get a quote from garages around me until tomorrow and I'm very stressed out!

ReputationRep:
    How high?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_1691.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  106.1 KB
    extortionately.high.

ReputationRep:
    it's extortionately high!
    Define high. A knock like that could easily cost hundreds to fix rather than bodge, and the owner is entitled to have it competently fixed. You might be well-advised to do this through insurance.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, you'll have to pay the high price if you want to go privately! :sadnod: Although, you will need to tell the insurer about this incident, even if you do not intend to claim (as silly as it sounds). :yes:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you

ReputationRep:
    my friend's bmw was scratched/keyed and it was like £350 to repair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _princessxox)
    my friend's bmw was scratched/keyed and it was like £350 to repair
    The quote was ask £1800!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalSheepy)
    Unfortunately, you'll have to pay the high price if you want to go privately! :sadnod: Although, you will need to tell the insurer about this incident, even if you do not intend to claim (as silly as it sounds). :yes:

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there for you
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    How high?
    £1800

ReputationRep:
    That does sound high, set against the photo. They are probably seeking to take advantage of your fear of your insurance company. Simply deal with it through the insurance company. Painful, but better than being mauled by sharks.

ReputationRep:
    £1800
    That sounds high (from one photo). You're going to have to go through your insurance if they're not going to accept a more reasonable garage. I'm assuming that they've got a quote from a the main stealer ..

ReputationRep:
    you should probably pay through insurance

ReputationRep:
    They can't just pull a random figure out of their behind. Make sure they give you a quote from dealer bodyshop or from a reputable repairer. Bear in mind that they are fully entitled to having it restored like for like.
    Personally I don't think it's too bad at all and definitely a SMART repair job. £250-400.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I feel your pain, your upset over your daft driving error but hey nobody died here, your young and it happens, it's just a poxey car that got damaged

Fear not, Just report it to your insurance company, send them the correspondence you have recieved so far and don't get involved further. Let your insurance company deal with them.

If the Third Party contact you directly tell them that your'e not dealing with it privately and that they should contact their insurers - do not engage further than that. Do not engage in further correspondance.

Worst case is the claim goes against you and you pay more next renewal but it's unlikely to be £1800 more and you can spread the cost by instalments.

Looks to me that the third party is trying to have you over, I hate that but it's life I'm afraid and unfortunately they can take the car to most expensive gagare, hire the most expensive car whilst it's in and take you for a ride! At least if your insurance company get involved they will ensure its dealt with properly.

Good luck but please don't worry about this, hey it's just one of those things. Onwards and upwards from here

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.