Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I would like to become a History teacher. However, my degree is in Theology and Anthropology. Do I stand a fighting chance at being accepted onto a History PGCE course in light of this disparity?

ReputationRep:
    Why not ring the Train to Teach hotline?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. I googled that but nothing by that name seems to show

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just asked an adviser at Get Into Teaching the same question (except I'm a Philosophy graduate and am considering teaching English or History). He told me that the requirements of different training providers vary, so it's best to get in contact with the training providers themselves (i.e. the PGCE History department you're looking at).

For some subjects, including the sciences and English, you can do a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course (SKE), but unfortunately, this isn't possible for History yet!

From what I've read personally, PGCE History is meant to be pretty competitive, but I think you would stand a fighting chance with your degree as it's closely related. But best to get in touch with the training providers for a more substantive answer. Hope it all turns out okay!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.