Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm a first year student. I'm currently feeling very behind - I'm on week 4s reading for one module, havent started the readings for another, and dont feel as though I know the content well. I'm usually very studious, have always worked really hard, but just havent found the motivation this year.

I wanted to ask - does anybody else feel in a similar position, or has anyone else ever been in the same boat? How are you going to / did you catch up?

I want to do really well, and recognise that I've made a few mistakes this first number of weeks in not keeping on top of things. I suspect I might not be alone, though!

Any help appreciated :-)
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackhope2010)
    Hello all,

I'm a first year student. I'm currently feeling very behind - I'm on week 4s reading for one module, havent started the readings for another, and dont feel as though I know the content well. I'm usually very studious, have always worked really hard, but just havent found the motivation this year.

I wanted to ask - does anybody else feel in a similar position, or has anyone else ever been in the same boat? How are you going to / did you catch up?

I want to do really well, and recognise that I've made a few mistakes this first number of weeks in not keeping on top of things. I suspect I might not be alone, though!

Do you have reading week? That's when I caught up on most of my notes.

I just spent most of my time in the library, skipped the odd lecture as well so I can focus on previous weeks more.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I'm in the same boat. I've got 3 essays (2,500, 2,500 and 3,000 words), a debate, and an exam all in December and so far I've done the introductions for 2 of the essays. That's it. Not read anything. I'm so behind but I don't know where to start. I'm in a slump and I don't know what to do. I have no motivation. But I'm applying for the international student scheme next year and I need good grades. I need to get onto this scheme. I need to. And I'm now panicking because aaargh. Help. lol
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Hey there Jack and Hedwig2189! I completely commiserate; I thought I was on top of things this year and my Masters has completely bowled me over!

Here's the good news guys...you've got from tomorrow onwards to turn this ship around And that IS good news; one of the first things to help you motivate yourself is realizing that from THIS point onwards, things can change because YOU are in control of what YOU do--not that enticing Facebook feed, or the slice of pizza in the fridge, or the ticket to the club that night. YOU are the one in control of your time.

The first thing I would do is give yourself however long you need to meditate and think about what you need to do. Get an A4 sheet of paper and divide it into columns: today, tomorrow, this week. What do you absolutely NEED to do today, or your grades will absolutely tank? What about what you absolutely NEED to do tomorrow? This week? On another bit of paper, write down all your deadlines.

At first you're going to put wayyy too many things in the "today" column, because you're freaking out and you're feeling overwhelmed. But--get everything down on paper, all your deadlines, the assignments you're scared about, etc. Then take a step away, breathe, and come back to it. Look at your assignments, being realistic about what assignments you need to complete first/get the best grades for (presumably the one that counts the most in the module). Break down each assignment--do you need to do research for it? If it's an essay, how many words and thus how many hours do you need to devote to it?

Now take another sheet of paper, and with that in mind, start your list over again. Today/tomorrow/this week. Put an achievable amount in each section, so that you really can tick all of those off. Maybe start with a miniscule amount for "today" so that you can build yourself up.

And then--commit. Maybe you need to organize yourself yet more (create a this hour/this block of 5 hours/tomorrow sheet?). Maybe you should try out the pomodoro technique--work 25 minutes straight and then take a 5 minute breather. Maybe try a procrastination app, or website blocker on your devices if you need to stop scrolling social media.

You guys have all the tools available--your Uni has support as well! In the form of lecturers who can help if you're feeling lost on assignments, coursemates who can egg you on and become a library study session group. All you need to do now is just get started. And remember, you're the one in control of that!

You got this!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.