Turn on thread page Beta

I think my friend is going to ask me out... watch

I’m not interested in that way to be honest, but we have been friends on and off for literally 10 years (on and off because he told me he liked me once and it became super awkward)

We have started to talk again in sixth form, and I feel like he might ask me out. Obviously I could just outright say no, but I would want to save him the humiliation of his friends who will 100% find out, as well as not make it awkward like last time.

How should I go about the situation?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I am Homosexual.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're interested in someone else but don't want to "hurt" him

(Original post by JDieMstr)
    Sorry, I am Homosexual.
    Hahahahahahah honestly I totally would but he KNOWS I’m not

I might just say that first as a joke to cut the awkwardness

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Maybe you're interested in someone else but don't want to "hurt" him
    He asked my today if I like anyone and my DUMB SELF SAID NO SMH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hahahahahahah honestly I totally would but he KNOWS I’m not

I might just say that first as a joke to cut the awkwardness
    Alright, alright. So, you are 1000% sure you got no "romantic" feeling or such towards this friend of yours?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    He asked my today if I like anyone and my DUMB SELF SAID NO SMH
    Both male? The as many mentions of girls as you cam so he gets the message?

Alright, alright. So, you are 1000% sure you got no "romantic" feeling or such towards this friend of yours?
    10000000000%, sure he’s nice and all, but nooooo

(Original post by 999tigger)
    Both male? The as many mentions of girls as you cam so he gets the message?
    No I’m a girl haha, good idea (though I doubt he WOULD get the message and instead just think I’m out for every guy and “easy”)

ReputationRep:
    10000000000%, sure he’s nice and all, but nooooo
    Fair enough. Seeing how he did not get it last time, you might have to reject him harsher this time around so he gets the message clearly. Just tell him clearly and honestly why you don't like him and tell him that it's been 10 years so any chance of it happening for next couple of years is non-existent.

Fair enough. Seeing how he did not get it last time, you might have to reject him harsher this time around so he gets the message clearly. Just tell him clearly and honestly why you don't like him and tell him that it's been 10 years so any chance of it happening for next couple of years is non-existent.
    That’s exactly what I want to do but I feel so bad. Bearing in mind I didn’t actually outright reject him last time, but he told friends and the word got around to me, it was so awkward he just didn’t speak for ages
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    No I’m a girl haha, good idea (though I doubt he WOULD get the message and instead just think I’m out for every guy and “easy”)
    I was misled by the other poster.

You can either give him the talk that you enjoy his friendship and just being friends trying to stop him or you can profess interest in another boy [ do not let him confuse it for being him] or girl or.you can just tell him what hassle relationships are and you are glad you are single.

Just say it s he gets the message,

If he asks then its awkward city and it wont be the same.

(Original post by 999tigger)
    I was misled by the other poster.

You can either give him the talk that you enjoy his friendship and just being friends trying to stop him or you can profess interest in another boy [ do not let him confuse it for being him] or girl or.you can just tell him what hassle relationships are and you are glad you are single.

Just say it s he gets the message,

If he asks then its awkward city and it wont be the same.
    Great idea! I’ll do that!

ReputationRep:
    That’s exactly what I want to do but I feel so bad. Bearing in mind I didn’t actually outright reject him last time, but he told friends and the word got around to me, it was so awkward he just didn’t speak for ages
    Mhmm...have you tried imagining yourself in his situation and thought of in what way it would make you clearly understand that you have no chance with....well yourself?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Great idea! I’ll do that!
    If he does ask and you can either go down the I just like you as a friend or just say you are flattered, but you arent looking as you have enough on your plate or you want to focus on exams or you just arent ready or you just think you work ok as friends.

Deal with it quickly and without ambiguity, then theres less chance for confusion. Be nice but firm.

Give me time to think/I like a girl/I like another guy/I'm not really interested in anyone atm.

Lol am saying all of this but if I was in your position I would avoid school for like 3 days.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 6, 2017
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.