Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering what physics students think of their own university? How is the course? Is it good? What could you tell me as a wannabe applicant?

Thanks in advance guys!

ReputationRep:
    I don't do physics but I have friends who do. They all seem to like it (some lecturers more than others, which is normal). Some of my friends think it's really easy and others are struggling with the concepts some. I have a geography lecture in the physics building, and it's a really nice facility. Sorry I can't help much more than that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JainaRose)
    I don't do physics but I have friends who do. They all seem to like it (some lecturers more than others, which is normal). Some of my friends think it's really easy and others are struggling with the concepts some. I have a geography lecture in the physics building, and it's a really nice facility. Sorry I can't help much more than that!
    No no thanks for trying! Sounds like it's okay, so thank you

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! I personally can't stand physics, but I know a surprising number of people who are taking it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have any comments about reputation or anything like that? I'm starting to like the sound of this place but I'm worried I'm getting ahead of myself.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still bothered by this ... I get how Scotland has a different system but how can one of the best Unis in the UK have such a lower entry requirement?

I worry something might be amiss, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSebWilkes)
    I'm still bothered by this ... I get how Scotland has a different system but how can one of the best Unis in the UK have such a lower entry requirement?

I worry something might be amiss, that's all.
    I mean, just because it has "low" entry requirements does not mean it's easy to get into. If you're predicted AAA, you'll only have an 11% chance of an offer from St Andrews and the average Physics student there has the fifth highest academic qualification at entry, with an average of 552 UCAS points (equivalent of A*A*A*aa at A Level). To contrast, Manchester which has requirements of A*A*A will give 79% of its applicants offers even if they're 'only' predicted AAA.

With the number of qualified students who apply to St Andrews, they will be able to choose from students who easily achieve grades higher than what is stated on their prospectus. It's well known that St Andrews places a great deal of importance on the personal statement of the application.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 9, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.