Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im in year 10 and resently i got my results back for my first set of exams. I done ok in most of my subjects, however, i didn't do as well in english as i hoped i would. I ended up getting 27/40 ( grade 6 accourding to my teacher). I really wanted to get a grade 9 which is 34 or more marks out of 40. My question is, how to i get 34 or more out of 40 in An Inspector Calls character question [40 marks].

ReputationRep:
    quick mention: These mocks and things - teachers mark so harshly! Honestly mock tests I got grade 3s...on GCSE results day I open it to find two grade 8s. I know grade 8 isn't good enough for you - but thats GOOD! Id recommend NOT Mr Bruff but check out Mr Salles English Youtube Channel

ReputationRep:
    An Inspector Calls! Thats such a good play. I did that for my gcse and got A*!
    Some suggestions, though I'm sure you're great, mocks are always off putting and make you feel bad, but I'm sure you'l ace the real exam!!
    - try and link back to context of the time if you get marks for that
    -go beyond the basic meaning of a quote/phrase, try and think outside of the box. why did the writer use this specific word? would it sound different if tehy said something else? is the writer trying to hint at something by saying something like this?
    - try and refer to different points in the play when analysing a character, so talk about how they were at the start, maybe at an important part in the middle, and then at the end
    - analyse the difference between how they speak and how they act. look at the stage directions for that!

All the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.