Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you/on the path to the career you wanted as a child? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why don't people become doctors, nurses, vets, firemen, pilots, archeologists etc all those careers children might dream of but instead do meaningless, unfulfilling jobs?

ReputationRep:
    No, I am not. I stopped growing at six inches, sadly.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be an artist when I was younger, I didn't even pick art for GCSE :lol:

I think that people lose their ambitions because they think they are unrealistic goals - also they could be pressured into doing something that their parents want them to do, or they could be swayed because of all the different uni courses available

ReputationRep:
    Because life happens and interests change?

My cousin was dead set on being a vet for years and years. She was bright and loved animals. However when it came to high school she developed a love for art and writing and didn't enjoy having to compete for high grades anymore and is now an illustrator.

I had about 50 dream jobs before the age of 16; singer, actress, animator, journalist, pilot, writer, nurse.....we can't have it all

ReputationRep:
    Yep, probably one of the few people who remained set on what I said I was going to be at 4 years old.

ReputationRep:
    my choices changed a lot.

i wanted to become an english teacher, then a pharmacist now im thinking of accountant and banking n stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Yes wanted to be a celebrity stylist now I am a celebrity stylists assistant. I would say I fulfilled my dreams

ReputationRep:
    LOL not in the slightest... I dreamt of all sorts of things as a kid, but they were just that, dreams.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much saw my future in IT and I'm there now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    Why don't people become doctors, nurses, vets, firemen, pilots, archeologists etc all those careers children might dream of but instead do meaningless, unfulfilling jobs?
    I wanted to be a pilot...then i watched movies about hijacking planes cos i thought they were about pilots. Scared the life out of me...i then realised i hate plane journeys too. I knew it wouldn't work out - but i want to work so hard and be successful (i sound like a little kid i know) but I do so that me not becoming a pilot is never a regret

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be a lifeguard. I can just about do front stroke.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    When I was a kid, I wanted to be everything from a Broadway star, to a vet, to a teacher, to a doctor - pretty much fancied every kind of career when I was a kid but I didn't set my mind fully to a career until I was in my early 20s. Now, I am starting training to become an embalmer and funeral director after Christmas. Its not a job that is up everyone's street but I've always had an interest in that field and hope I can help people who have lost a loved one, as I've been there myself.

ReputationRep:
    Heavens no. I wanted to become a Pilot. Never came even close due to a really bad time at Secondary School and eye damage when I was younger.

Now.... I am an Engineer for the Govt and I have to admit, I feel I am where I am meant to be somehow, even if it took me 13/14 years to get there. It's been a long and often painful, unpleasant road.... but sometimes all that matters is the destination.

ReputationRep:
    Because my dream job paid peanuts

ReputationRep:
    Mine have changed

When I was little I wanted to be a maths professor or something like that... then it was a video game developer
    I still like maths, but the only maths career I would consider is one in actuarial science. I don't really know what I want to do for a career anymore, I would kill to make up my mind, tbh

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be a writer. I'm not really on track. I'm hardly interested in the sorts of jobs that I might be able to do. I'm pretty much set on going for a PhD in maths. Perhaps during that I'll be inspired to work in some field. If not, maybe I could go even further down the academia rabbit hole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aishabushra)
    Yes wanted to be a celebrity stylist now I am a celebrity stylists assistant. I would say I fulfilled my dreams

yeah right lol

ReputationRep:
    My dream of being a Pilot R.I.P

ReputationRep:
    Already doing fantasticly well with 2 GCSE and you know it. piece of paper can make you decide what you want to do
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to be an animator as a kid and just got my offers to study clinical psychology at uni. Animation is still the best though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.