Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Wanted to be a vet until around the age of seven, then quickly changed my mind as I threw up at watching a lamb being born. Then wanted to run my own petting farm, which is unachievable without a previous career to start saving up. I've always loved dog training and thought that would be a good route to go down until I realised that I'd be lucky if I could live off the wage. Completely away from the animal theme, I am now considering a criminology/psychology to become a criminal psychologist, or a French degree to become a French teacher.

ReputationRep:
    I, like all the other people replying, wanted several different jobs but one that really stuck almost all the way through primary, and a little through secondary, was a pilot. I'm considering that as my back up plan if my GCSEs aren't as good.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really remember what my actual childhood dreams were, but I'm doing what I was aiming for at about 17 :dontknow:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    My degree is in the thing I wanted to be as a kid, sadly my MH precludes me from doing it. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be a teacher or an actress (two very different career paths lmao).
    I'm not interested in pursuing either of them now.

ReputationRep:
    I went from wanting to be a fashion designer, to doctor, to dentist, to engineer, to physicist, to investment banker and now I have no clue :lol: I've finally figured out what I'm passionate about, so I guess we'll work from there.

ReputationRep:
    Defo not a singer or actor
    Defo not a youtuber
    But I've always wanted to be a nurse so

ReputationRep:
    In some ways, yes. I've always wanted to do something involving words - yes, as a 4 year old, lexicographer was one of my dream jobs - and I've applied to study French and Linguistics at university.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Lol wanted to be a teacher, last thing on Earth I’d wanna become

ReputationRep:
    I was four when I decided I wanted to be a pilot - my birthday treat for my fifth birthday was to go to the airport to watch takeoffs and landings. With a bit of luck, I'll have my first job as a pilot in the next 2 or 3 months.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Forever dreamt on joining the special forces and being a commanding officer like my dad... Lost it for a while but I hope to enlist full time once I get a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I wanted to be a firefighter for ages, and then after that I had images of joining the Paras. But I'm asthmatic, sooo...

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to be an author ever since I was like 7 realised later on that I could write while pursuing another career. Decided on law when I was about 14 and is the subject I'm applying for at university

ReputationRep:
    no

and deep down i kinda knew it wouldn't happen for me. always been a dreamer, never a... person who makes it happen

Well, as a child you don't really know what it takes to become what you want e.g. becoming a "famous pop singer" or "astronaut" isn't as easy as taking some university course. But also, as everyone else has pointed out, interests do change and you become far more aware of what sort of skills you'd like to develop over time.

ReputationRep:
      I am not yet, I cannot become a police offier

However I have just been offered a job with ambulance service. FTC aiming to give experience needed for 999 handling role...not my 'dream job' specifically, but a way into the emergency services and then some exploring for where to go next.

ReputationRep:
      People have no idea what they want to do as a kid besides what their parents want.
      • Community Assistant
      • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
      I feel like I am one of the few people who had no 'dream career' as a child. On very few occasions, I was asked 'What do you want to be when you grow up?' and I always responded 'I do not know/have not decided yet' or with an ambiguous statement that did not truly indicate a proper answer ('According to my zodiac sign, I would make a good detective', to exemplify) so I did not seem to lack self-awareness.

I discovered my dream job and field of work when I was sixteen in year 11 and have been pursuing that career path since then. In that sense, I am on the path to the first career I truly wanted, albeit I did not find out about it as a child.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.