Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuffme)
    I am a muslim and yet agree with most of your argument. The diamond/sweet analogy is pathetic and reeks of ignorance.

Indeed, the hijab's purpose is to hide the hair which by proxy does, for lack of a better term, decrease attractiveness at a superficial level. However, to some Muslim men a hijab may make a woman appear more beautiful since it implies that such a woman is modest and practices Islam - which are characteristics seen as desirable.
    Thank you for providing a rational, level-headed contribution, repped. Indeed, attraction can come from the physical and also from someone’s personality and demeanour. However, I think posters like soliloquy and MiszShortee are taking issue with the physical side of things..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Thank you for providing a rational, level-headed contribution, repped. Indeed, attraction can come from the physical and also from someone’s personality and demeanour. However, I think posters like soliloquy and MiszShortee are taking issue with the physical side of things..
    I have been on TSR for years and have seen Muslims time and time again completely lose their ****, and in some cases argue in an uncivilised manner and take digs at a personal level.

Women are not diamonds/sweets and men are not thirsty flies wanting to have a taste as implied below :facepalm2:

https://i0.wp.com/www.sociable7.com/...-lollipops.jpg

Attachment 702198

ReputationRep:
    I am in no such position. You are choosing to take offence from something that I haven't even said. I repeat, you don't need to wear the hijab to know what its purpose is and to comment on it.

I'm sure a lot of people got offended,not just me, maybe that wasn't your intention but you could've definitely worded it in a much better way.

I mean that by wearing the hijab you come to realize the importance of it and the purpose behind it in more depth, you only have a basic understanding of it and what people have probably told you. Once a woman/girl begins to wear it they automatic understand the purpose and reason as to why they should wear it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soIiIoquy)
    I'm sure a lot of people got offended,not just me, maybe that wasn't your intention but you could've definitely worded it in a much better way.
    Speculation and again, not really my problem if they take offence to something I didn't say. I don't even know what's particularly offensive about saying that the hijab is supposed to diminish someone's beauty and therefore make them less appealing or attractive.

I mean that by wearing the hijab you come to realize the importance of it and the purpose behind it in more depth, you only have a basic understanding of it and what people have probably told you. Once a woman/girl begins to wear it they automatic understand the purpose and reason as to why they should wear it.
    Nonsense. A lot of girls grow up wearing the hijab and thus had no choice in the matter and so it is not a fact that every hijabi suddenly becomes enlightened to the reasoning behind it as soon as they start wearing it. What is this mystical enlightenment that non-hijabis are unable to access?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    if someone wears a hijab, do you find them attractive? or is it a turn off
    yh you could. I know some pretty hijabis!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am a Muslim but I believe that beauty is subjective. Everyone will have their own opinions on this. Some people don't like a woman in a hijab, some do. Everyone will have their own preferences, and as such each to their own. Yes, a hijab is primarily designed to conceal somebody's beauty and show their practice of faith, but I still believe that a woman with a hijab can be pretty (which is the OP's original question btw). A hijab does not completely hide the face (unlike a niqab). It only really hides the head, and therefore the face is left untouched. A lot of the beauty comes directly from the facial features, and therefore a woman wearing a hijab can still be pretty.

ReputationRep:
    Speculation and again, not really my problem if they take offence to something I didn't say. I don't even know what's particularly offensive about saying that the hijab is supposed to diminish someone's beauty and therefore make them less appealing or attractive.

Nonsense. A lot of girls grow up wearing the hijab and thus had no choice in the matter and so it is not a fact that every hijabi suddenly becomes enlightened to the reasoning behind it as soon as they start wearing it. What is this mystical enlightenment that non-hijabis are unable to access?

**"someones supposed beauty"

from my experience, At a young age, you don't really understand the purpose of wearing it , but as you grow older, I do believe you truly understand the purpose of wearing it and one begins to actually find the reason as to why they wear it. if they choose not to, thats their choice in the end. I'm not saying they "suddenly become enlightened" but I'm saying one begins to gradually understand the purpose behind it.

ReputationRep:
    **"someones supposed beauty"
    Again, what's wrong with this? Most hijabis won't be particularly beautiful, fact. Do you want people to lie about reality and claim all hijabis are supermodels?

ReputationRep:
    Again, what's wrong with this? Most hijabis won't be particularly beautiful, fact. Do you want people to lie about reality and claim all hijabis are supermodels?
    I didn't say they're ALL supermodels, they're all beautiful in their own ways.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say they're ALL supermodels, they're all beautiful in their own ways.
    I'm talking specifically about physical beauty, not personality or anything else. And it's reality that most people are average-looking, this isn't an insult to people, it's just fact. Doesn't mean they can't be interesting people etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking specifically about physical beauty, not personality or anything else. And it's reality that most people are average-looking, this isn't an insult to people, it's just fact. Doesn't mean they can't be interesting or wonderful people etc.
    okay then.

depends on what they look like. hijab doesnt make a pretty face ugly nor does it make an ugly face pretty.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    yes, you can wear the hijab and be beautiful! don't let other's opinion on the hijab detract from your question. look at people like Nadiya Hussein! the only way that a hijab would detract from beauty is if the hijab was ugly. there are two girls at my old school who had these fantastic fashionable hijabs, they looked better than most people's hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jvinmurrey)
    The hijab isn't meant to make someone look unappealing? lmao
    Of course it is.

That's why you have to cover your hair, not wear make up and not talk to anyone of the opposite gender outside your family "un-necessarily" .

its purpose is to remove the focus away from physical appearance yes (because physical appearance shouldn't be the determining factor of someones worth/attractiveness as a person)
    Physcial appearance isn't the sole factor but certainly is important.

It does seem to be the case that this religion was aimed at people who couldn't really control themselves (hence the fasting, praying 5 times a day, headscarf and lowering gaze, preventing communication between genders, any alcohol or music at all )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hijab DOES NOT make you unattractive or unappealing. It is there to preserve modesty and hide beauty for the male relative sin their family and their husband. Amenakin, dina tokio, habiba da silva, uzma choudhury are great examples of hijab empowering muslim women
    What's the literal difference between "looking unattractive" and "hiding beauty" ???

ReputationRep:
    The purpose of the hijab is to conceal those parts that one may feel attracted to by.
    What about the face and eyes?

Wearing the hijab doesn't make someone look ugly.
    It makes them appear less attractive (in terms of the public personality and appearance).

Neither is it to cover their "ugliness"
    No it's not for this at all.

but in fact it is a way to gain respect from others, and being seen for a woman's mind not for their appearance.
    I don't really believe this to be the initial intention to be quite frank.

It's simply the culture that Islam grew upon and restricts women from showing their hair to make them less appealing.

I have no idea where this "mind" business came in from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mil99)
    What about the face and eyes?

It makes them appear less attractive (in terms of the public personality and appearance).

No it's not for this at all.

I don't really believe this to be the initial intention to be quite frank.

It's simply the culture that Islam grew upon and restricts women from showing their hair to make them less appealing.

I have no idea where this "mind" business came in from.
    1. the face and eyes are not concealed for identity, hijab isn't just the head covering, it's also the body which is also attractive.

2. Maybe from your POV. Others may see it as modest beauty and not that sexual attraction which most women get nowadays tbh.

3. You don't have to believe it, I'm just stating facts. FYI the Hijab isn't just the covering of the head.

Think realistically, if a woman was to be showing off her hair, chest, legs etcetc even without the intention to get attention, surely a male would perceive her in a sexual way or try to flirt/attract her? Whereas if she was covered, surely they wouldn't get that perverted attraction? Appearance isn't what a woman is defined as. If one dresses appropriately, then they will be treated appropriately, unless she is asking for that attention...

ReputationRep:
    1. the face and eyes are not concealed for identity, hijab isn't just the head covering, it's also the body which is also attractive.
    What do you mean "identity"?? Did Mohammed ever say this?

Regardless, the face is arguably more appealing than the hair and yet it isn't ordered to be covered. Therefore suggesting that the ruling wasn't really a logical one and therefore can be put down the effect of the local culture.
    2. Maybe from your POV. Others may see it as modest beauty and not that sexual attraction which most women get nowadays tbh.
    So you're saying that a headscarf is meant to make a women look more beautiful in terms of their modesty????

The headscarf hides part of their body and therefore aims to make said persion look less attractive physically. The other Islamic rulings regarding social interaction (mainly restricted for females) adds the unappealing public personality or social interaction.

3. You don't have to believe it, I'm just stating facts. FYI the Hijab isn't just the covering of the head.
    How is the reason for the headscarf implentation (originally in a Arabian society) to promote viewing women holistically, when there's Islamic rulings for slavery (including the usage of women slaves here) and Mohammed himself had many wives?

I do hope that you don't have the impression that all males talk/help/interact with a non Muslim female simply because they may look attractive.

Think realistically, if a woman was to be showing off her hair, chest, legs etcetc even without the intention to get attention, surely a male would perceive her in a sexual way or try to flirt/attract her?
    Firstly, we are not speaking of revealing chest/legs but merely the hair.

If there's an attractive women or man, it doesn't mean the opposite gender will flirt with them. This is quite a immature and un-professional misunderstanding you have here - whilst the man may recognise them as attractive it doesn't mean he will act upon it. There's endless applications of this basic concept (if you're thirsty, do you immediately run to drink something). (No pun intended)

Whereas if she was covered, surely they wouldn't get that perverted attraction? Appearance isn't what a woman is defined as. If one dresses appropriately, then they will be treated appropriately, unless she is asking for that attention...
    How is someone showing their hair dressing inappropriately? For example, if you're in a business meeting, do you honestly believe that if you don't cover your hair, all the men will begin flirting with you??

The headscarf and the associated rulings (especially for women) restricts them greatly within society and to a unfair level in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    yikes, I can see why no one wants to marry Muslim guys lol
    Lol why? It's just my preference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mil99)
    What do you mean "identity"?? Did Mohammed ever say this?

Regardless, the face is arguably more appealing than the hair and yet it isn't ordered to be covered. Therefore suggesting that the ruling wasn't really a logical one and therefore can be put down the effect of the local culture.
    So you're saying that a headscarf is meant to make a women look more beautiful in terms of their modesty????

The headscarf hides part of their body and therefore aims to make said persion look less attractive physically. The other Islamic rulings regarding social interaction (mainly restricted for females) adds the unappealing public personality or social interaction.

How is the reason for the headscarf implentation (originally in a Arabian society) to promote viewing women holistically, when there's Islamic rulings for slavery (including the usage of women slaves here) and Mohammed himself had many wives?

I do hope that you don't have the impression that all males talk/help/interact with a non Muslim female simply because they may look attractive.

Firstly, we are not speaking of revealing chest/legs but merely the hair.

If there's an attractive women or man, it doesn't mean the opposite gender will flirt with them. This is quite a immature and un-professional misunderstanding you have here - whilst the man may recognise them as attractive it doesn't mean he will act upon it. There's endless applications of this basic concept (if you're thirsty, do you immediately run to drink something). (No pun intended)

How is someone showing their hair dressing inappropriately? For example, if you're in a business meeting, do you honestly believe that if you don't cover your hair, all the men will begin flirting with you??

The headscarf and the associated rulings (especially for women) restricts them greatly within society and to a unfair level in my opinion.
    No, but thats why the niqab (face veil) isn't obligatory.

yes, that is what I'm saying.

No, I'm not saying that all males do that, but I'm sure a vast majority of them would rather go to the woman is showing herself off rather than one who is covered.

the owner of this thread is talking about the "Hijab" which isn't the covering of the head, so I can speak about other parts of the body.

I'm not saying ALL men will, you're generalising and I'm not saying that if you show your hair it means all men will end up flirting with you, it's not just the showing of ones hair, thats all you mentioned, that woman in the business meeting could be polite and professional and act in an appropriate manner. It's not just the hair, its the way a woman dresses, the way a woman presents herself, behaves etc. If a woman is wearing the hijab she has to play the part too and present herself modestly, otherwise there's no point. In this way they get treated with respect and not treated in a way that brings sexual attention.

Even those who don't specifically wear the headcovering but still wear appropriate clothing can be seen as modest and can also be treated with respect and dignity.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.