The Student Room Group

Ahh!!! Help me. I really wanted to go to this University but...

I really want to study Computer Science at this Top UK university but they want at least maths, physics, computing or software systems development. I am taking ICT, Business and Law. I decided to take extra A level in Computing just to be eligible but it's so damn hard its making me go CRAZY and really affecting my mental health and wellbeing. My question is that if I drop this A Level in Computing, how can I still be eligible? Bearing in mind that they do accept both BTEC and A-Level.

Please help me get into my dream university... It will come back to you, if you help others in their time of need, in your time of need you will be helped.

P.S. Course is Computing and Information Technology at University of Surrey
Original post by e49877
I really want to study Computer Science at this Top UK university but they want at least maths, physics, computing or software systems development. I am taking ICT, Business and Law. I decided to take extra A level in Computing just to be eligible but it's so damn hard its making me go CRAZY and really affecting my mental health and wellbeing. My question is that if I drop this A Level in Computing, how can I still be eligible? Bearing in mind that they do accept both BTEC and A-Level.

Please help me get into my dream university... It will come back to you, if you help others in their time of need, in your time of need you will be helped.

they dont seem to offer foundation years, but you could ask if they'll accept a foundation year from somewhere else to get into surrey.
Reply 2
Original post by e49877

A degree course in Computing will be harder than the A-level, so if you are struggling with the A-level perhaps a degree isn't the best idea at this stage. Are you finding the course hard, or is it the workload that's hard? If it's the workload then consider dropping one of your other subjects (I presume you are in Y12).

What grades are you expecting to get in ICT, Business and Law?
Original post by e49877

Hi @e49877,

I would suggest speaking to the Admissions Adviser for Computing & IT to see what alternative routes they accept for the course - no one wants you putting your mental health at risk by stressing yourself out at A Level! You can call the Admissions team on +44(0)1483682222.

If doing our CIT course isn't feasible at the moment, it might be worth looking into doing an apprenticeship or even a degree apprenticeship. There are many IT apprenticeships available as the UK government are trying to fill the gap in the market, so it could be another viable option for you to get into the world of IT :smile:

I hope this helps!

All the best,
Ashley
Reply 4
Original post by Doonesbury
A degree course in Computing will be harder than the A-level, so if you are struggling with the A-level perhaps a degree isn't the best idea at this stage. Are you finding the course hard, or is it the workload that's hard? If it's the workload then consider dropping one of your other subjects (I presume you are in Y12).

What grades are you expecting to get in ICT, Business and Law?

I'm doing the A-Level in Computer Science by myself that's why I am finding it difficult. I'm doing well in college at the moment but it's just computer science A Level that is screwing with me right now.

I live in an area where there is no tuition centres which support computer science.

Yes I am a second year student.
D*D* A (ICT).

Cheers,
e49877
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I'm thinking about maybe dropping the A Level in Computer Science or just carrying on with it but just memorising everything the last 3-4 weeks before the exams come up.

What do you think?
Reply 6
Original post by e49877
I'm thinking about maybe dropping the A Level in Computer Science or just carrying on with it but just memorising everything the last 3-4 weeks before the exams come up.

What do you think?

That first option sounds better, the second option will lead to more stress and a likely poor result in the exams.

But speak to Surrey about possible routes.
Reply 7
That first option sounds better, the second option will lead to more stress and a likely poor result in the exams.

But speak to Surrey about possible routes.

If I decide to carry on with the A level in computer science and not do that good. Will it affect my university application or does it not matter as it will be an extra subject? So say if I apply for university which doesn't require A Level CS as one of it's entry
requirements will they send me an offer which includes the CS A level or will they send me an offer based on ICT, Business and Law? Or will they allow me to choose which subjects I get the grades in and just send an offer of D*D*A for example?
Reply 8
Original post by e49877
If I decide to carry on with the A level in computer science and not do that good. Will it affect my university application or does it not matter as it will be an extra subject? So say if I apply for university which doesn't require A Level CS as one of it's entry
requirements will they send me an offer which includes the CS A level or will they send me an offer based on ICT, Business and Law? Or will they allow me to choose which subjects I get the grades in and just send an offer of D*D*A for example?

If they aren't interested in CS it's unlikely they would specify a grade in it.

But the bigger issue is by doing it you may distract yourself from doing well in your other subjects. And also add to your stress...

Quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
If they aren't interested in CS it's unlikely they would specify a grade in it.

But the bigger issue is by doing it you may distract yourself from doing well in your other subjects. And also add to your stress...

Quality not quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for reply.

I can do well in my normal subjects no problem but i was just wondering if the university would put CS in their offer when they would not normally to someone else. Would they put it in my offer just because im studying it? Or would they cut me a break and allow me to choose which subjects I get the entry grades in?
Reply 10
Original post by e49877
Thank you for reply.

I can do well in my normal subjects no problem but i was just wondering if the university would put CS in their offer when they would not normally to someone else. Would they put it in my offer just because im studying it? Or would they cut me a break and allow me to choose which subjects I get the entry grades in?

It entirely depends on the university but I'd say it would be unusual in your situation.

I still do not recommend you follow this path though. You mention the challenge it is causing your MH at the moment, and there's no guarantee that won't happen again if you try to cram CS near the exam deadlines.
Reply 11
It entirely depends on the university but I'd say it would be unusual in your situation.

I still do not recommend you follow this path though. You mention the challenge it is causing your MH at the moment, and there's no guarantee that won't happen again if you try to cram CS near the exam deadlines.

I am going to do CS every Sunday and Monday from now until exams. And slowly increase to 4-5 days every week 2 months prior to the exam period.
Original post by e49877
I am going to do CS every Sunday and Monday from now until exams. And slowly increase to 4-5 days every week 2 months prior to the exam period.

Are you sitting AQA CS? If so:

May I also suggest getting hold of the preliminary material ASAP? You need as much time as possible to become familiar with the code that you will be examined on. It's object-oriented at A-Level which can be confusing for some.
Reply 13
Original post by Blue_Cow
Are you sitting AQA CS? If so:

May I also suggest getting hold of the preliminary material ASAP? You need as much time as possible to become familiar with the code that you will be examined on. It's object-oriented at A-Level which can be confusing for some.

Hi,

I am doing it with OCR. Does the OCR exams have this aswell?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply