The Student Room Group

Career in human rights/immigration/medical law, please help!

Hi everyone,

A bit about me: I'm in my 4th year at the University of Edinburgh, doing the LLB (but in Scots law), with a prediction of getting a 1st.

I'm a bit confused on what to do next. I've decided that I do not want to stay in Scotland, so I have two options really - do the GDL and LPC (with a TC secured hopefully), or doing the LLM and then GDL and LPC. A huge part of me wants do to the LLM (in either Kings, UCL or LSE) because I have not yet secured a TC (I'd be applying for ones in 2020) and I'm just worried I'm not going to get one (I'm the least confident person on this planet) and so the LLM gives me more time to find my feet.

Something really important is that I absolutely hate corporate/commercial law and do not see myself ever applying for a TC in such a firm. So I've come here to ask for your help. I've done some research myself but it's always better to ask people who have gone through my shoes or are currently in the same situation.

My question is: does anyone know any firms/organisations/anything that focus on the niche areas of law (human rights/medical/family even) and offer Training Contracts in London?

I would really appreciate the help!! x
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
Guess you are happy to self fund the LLM and GDL and LPC?

I am indeed. I have a lot of money saved plus my inheritance etc, so money is no issue. Hence I'm so confused as to what to do next. I just don't want to put myself in a position where I feel like I am wasting my time and money especially.
Reply 2
Google, who would've thought? :rolleyes:
(I have tried actually but no luck so far)

I've never thought of using westlaw, that's actually a good shout, I'll give it a go. The main issue is that most of these firms are too small and don't offer training contracts (or at least that's what I've come across in Scotland) so it's just proving to be very difficult.
Reply 3
Original post by euphrosyne
Google, who would've thought? :rolleyes:
(I have tried actually but no luck so far)

I've never thought of using westlaw, that's actually a good shout, I'll give it a go. The main issue is that most of these firms are too small and don't offer training contracts (or at least that's what I've come across in Scotland) so it's just proving to be very difficult.

Have you considered a career at the bar... that is another option to consider. It’s a different route than being a solicitor, and in my opinion a little harder, but definitely rewarding
Reply 4
Original post by vnupe
Have you considered a career at the bar... that is another option to consider. It’s a different route than being a solicitor, and in my opinion a little harder, but definitely rewarding

I definitely have but I'm not sure that changes anything. I'll either being doing LLM and then trying out for the bar, or just skip the LLM. In both situations anyway, I'd need to secure a pupilage and I've read that's even harder than getting a TC.
Reply 5
Original post by euphrosyne
I definitely have but I'm not sure that changes anything. I'll either being doing LLM and then trying out for the bar, or just skip the LLM. In both situations anyway, I'd need to secure a pupilage and I've read that's even harder than getting a TC.

Your first from Edinburgh will mitigate some of the dread of getting pupillage, you can apply before you finish your degree and during your LLM, if you want to test the waters. It is not uncommon for a viable candidate to receive an offer of pupillage a couple of years before they start. They may even pay for both your LLM or BPTC, or whatever they are call8ng it niw

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending