Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is A level business doable for someone who never did it before? any tips and advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I just started my AS year and I am taking 4 subjects, chemistry biology psychology and business.
    I'm thinking of dropping psychology and continuing with 3, the problem is that I never took business before and I'm scared I might not get the required grade with it.
    I need at least an A in business for my A level, so I'm wondering if I will be able to do it?
    I enjoy business because it relies on common sense but I am a bit slow compared to others who took it at GCSE because I am not familiar with it, therefore I'm scared this might continue all the way to my exam. However, I would appreciate honest advice and tips to help me with my problem.
    Thank you
    P.S: I am doing edexcel for business

ReputationRep:
    Hello! First of all, I wouldn't say Business is a difficult subject nor an easy subject. This subject requires you a depth knowledge and high analysis skills, so like any other essay subjects, you must know the right techniques in answering the questions to get an A. Relying on textbooks alone would not help you to get an A, you should always relate to the case study given - as if you're in the position of the owners of the business. According to Cambridge Threshold Table, you should at least score (approximation) 140/200 for all papers - so to be say, it is quite high!

To be honest, I took Business A Level without having any Business background, I didn't study Principles of Account nor Commerce back then during high school. I was a Science student to begin with so to put it simply, I knew nothing about Business! Though having a background on Accounting is advantageous (since there will be some accounting principles you must master for A2 paper - but rest assure! Like I said, I never had an Accounting background, but I pretty much master the basic accounting principles in Business by doing a lot of practices!). Anyway good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roesalmon)
    Hello! First of all, I wouldn't say Business is a difficult subject nor an easy subject. This subject requires you a depth knowledge and high analysis skills, so like any other essay subjects, you must know the right techniques in answering the questions to get an A. Relying on textbooks alone would not help you to get an A, you should always relate to the case study given - as if you're in the position of the owners of the business. According to Cambridge Threshold Table, you should at least score (approximation) 140/200 for all papers - so to be say, it is quite high!

To be honest, I took Business A Level without having any Business background, I didn't study Principles of Account nor Commerce back then during high school. I was a Science student to begin with so to put it simply, I knew nothing about Business! Though having a background on Accounting is advantageous (since there will be some accounting principles you must master for A2 paper - but rest assure! Like I said, I never had an Accounting background, but I pretty much master the basic accounting principles in Business by doing a lot of practices!). Anyway good luck!!
    ah thank you so much for replying!! I came to the decision that I will be dropping psychology tomorrow, however I want to ask you if you've got any tips/resources which I could use? I would really appreciate it and thank you ! ;D

ReputationRep:
    I used Peter Stimpson's textbook to do my revision The book is not only a good resource for you to study, but it also has examination questions for you to practice! However, relying from the textbook alone wouldn't be enough. You should refer to past question papers and attempt doing all the questions, particularly the calculation. I don't have any online resources to give, but since this subject requires you a great analytical skills, you should read your friends or others' essays to see how they answer the questions!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.