Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to a Bristol Uni Open Afternoon on Wednesday for the faculty of Arts, Social sciences and Law.

What should I expect? Also how do these differ from an Open Day (other than being shorter)? Any personal experiences are welcome!

I'm hoping to book an open day when the dates are given out next spring ^_^

Sorry I'm still a noob at this posting thing so have no idea where to put it :'D
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlowerTron)
    I'm going to a Bristol Uni Open Afternoon on Wednesday for the faculty of Arts, Social sciences and Law.

What should I expect? Also how do these differ from an Open Day (other than being shorter)? Any personal experiences are welcome!

I'm hoping to book an open day when the dates are given out next spring ^_^

Sorry I'm still a noob at this posting thing so have no idea where to put it :'D
    Do not worry about it! :hugs: Moved to the University of Bristol forum.

From what I read in the explanation of Open Afternoons on their site, another difference between open days and open afternoons is that you will not be able to visit any academic departments. :console:

I did visit the University of Bristol twice, but neither of them were open days, if I recall correctly. :sad: I can still speak about it in general and hope it helps a bit, though! :ahee:

You might be led around by a student Ambassador. I had a student-led tour and one of them showed me the entire campus (which is so massive it took over an hour to visit everything! :eek4: ). Whether they give you a tour or not, it is always a good idea to ask staff and student Ambassadors for directions and first-hand impressions and advice if you see them. :yep:

Expect to see students EVERYWHERE. When I visited Bristol, the computers in the library were all occupied by students, even though it was the Easter break! :zomg: I suspect most of them were doing work, which would not have been surprising.

You might be allowed into the Wills Memorial Building, which is easily one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever seen in my life. :gah: Even if you are not a law student (I am not), it is still a sight to behold, so I would recommend you go inside it. :love:

The Beacon House is also very nice. I visited Bristol in April 2016, so I was among the few people who could see it before everyone else. It has a table that can be adjusted based on the person's height, if that helps! It also has chargers and a quiet/reading room, if my memory serves me right.

If you can take the bus from the city to the university, DO IT. There is most likely a bus that goes to the university or nearby. I went on foot from the city and it was terrible because I had to walk up a steep hill for a long time. :ashamed2:

Whether you go with your parents or not does not matter. I went by myself and was surprised that so many people were with their parents. :shock: However, there was a fair number of people who came by themselves and a few with friends.

Good luck and have fun! :hello:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.