Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to uni next year and have no idea how to present my portfolio. I have been out of college for over a year so I don’t have them to support me in making it. I have some large pieces of work I want to put in but I’ll have to take photos of it but not sure how to take professional photos of them that do them justice, what size folder should I have? I have A3 pieces that I would like to put in but then should I mount them? I am very stuck any advice would be helpful!!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollymingo0)
    I am going to uni next year and have no idea how to present my portfolio. I have been out of college for over a year so I don’t have them to support me in making it. I have some large pieces of work I want to put in but I’ll have to take photos of it but not sure how to take professional photos of them that do them justice, what size folder should I have? I have A3 pieces that I would like to put in but then should I mount them? I am very stuck any advice would be helpful!!
    Hi hollymingo0

What sort of courses are you looking at applying for with this portfolio? And do you have any idea of which universities?

There should be some information on the sort of work universities expect from a portfolio on the respective courses' entry requirements - I'd start by taking a look at these to get an idea of what you'll need.

If the information is a bit basic - contact the admissions department or a course lecturer for more detail on what they expect.

I hope this helps in some way

Thanks

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

ReputationRep:
    hi, I am looking to study interior design. Kingston, Bristol and East London universities are the ones that I have been looking at. each of their requirements for the portfolio are more or less the same and don't necessarily require interior design work. What I am more worried about is the physical putting together of the portfolio. U have enough work to put in and I can add some more. I just need some structural guidance as to how to put together my portfolio Eg. Mounting pieces of work, how to display bigger and smaller pieces and how to get good photos of my bigger pieces that I cannot bring with me. I am starting to put together an art book of work to do with interior design I don't know whether it is worth bringing that too.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollymingo0)
    hi, I am looking to study interior design. Kingston, Bristol and East London universities are the ones that I have been looking at. each of their requirements for the portfolio are more or less the same and don't necessarily require interior design work. What I am more worried about is the physical putting together of the portfolio. U have enough work to put in and I can add some more. I just need some structural guidance as to how to put together my portfolio Eg. Mounting pieces of work, how to display bigger and smaller pieces and how to get good photos of my bigger pieces that I cannot bring with me. I am starting to put together an art book of work to do with interior design I don't know whether it is worth bringing that too.
    Hi hollymingo0

I guess the structure is really up to you to express your creativity - which is what they want to see. Try all sorts of angles, lighting, close-ups and other ways to show your work and pick your favourite or what you think works well together?

An art book of interior design work sounds like it could be good - but just be careful that it doesn't count as going over the maximum number of pieces for your portfolio, for example Kingston says no more than 20 - so you don't want to put all that time into an art book for them to not look at it.

I'd suggest only doing the art book if they explicitly ask for interior design work.

I hope this helps.

Let me know how you get on!

Matt - NTU PG TSR Rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.