Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Which is better for Degree Apprenticeships in Digital And Technology Solutions

How can I find employers in my area that are willing to accept an apprentice in IT?

If I can't is it worth it to commute 1.5 hours each way to get to Manchester and 2 hours each way for Preston to get a work placement near the university?

Thanks.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sEverydayBro)
    Which is better for Degree Apprenticeships in Digital And Technology Solutions

How can I find employers in my area that are willing to accept an apprentice in IT?

If I can't is it worth it to commute 1.5 hours each way to get to Manchester and 2 hours each way for Preston to get a work placement near the university?

Thanks.
    Hey there,

I'm currently a third year student here at UCLan, just hoping I can help you out slightly. You can find more information on the course at this link: http://www.uclan.ac.uk/business_at_u...-solutions.php

This course would be delivered at our Burnley Campus where you would be on day release, over the course of 3 years.

Just wondering where you'd be commuting from?

Josh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UCLan Ambassador)
    Hey there,

I'm currently a third year student here at UCLan, just hoping I can help you out slightly. You can find more information on the course at this link: http://www.uclan.ac.uk/business_at_u...-solutions.php

This course would be delivered at our Burnley Campus where you would be on day release, over the course of 3 years.

Just wondering where you'd be commuting from?

Josh
    I'm commuting from Bolton I added half an hour for any traffic or extra busses I might have to get ahaha
    I have already looked at the university website and emailed them. They could only suggest one employer to me and that was in Preston.
    I'm not sure about commuting to Preston everyday for the job but I'm struggling to find any employers around here that accept degree apprentice students and wouldn't know where to start looking or what to do about contacting them if I do find any.
    Is there any suggestions you can make? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I think your best bet would probably be to weigh up the pros and cons of your options;
    Do you think the commute would be worthwhile for you and your development?
    Is the employer that was suggested someone/somewhere you think you could thrive?
    What's the alternative for you?

Also, have you considered going to an open day at the Burnley campus to discuss your options with some of the teachers there? Speaking face to face may uncover further questions you hadn't previously thought of or may aid in your decision making? You can sign up for an open day here; http://www.uclan.ac.uk/burnley/open_day_booking.php.

I hope this helps,
    Wendy

ReputationRep:
    Hey there again,

There's an open day here at UCLan this Saturday if you'd be interested in coming along and maybe talking to some of the lecturers who'll be teaching you? sign up here https://www.uclan.ac.uk/open_days/index.php. If you'd like to come along to our Burnley campus and have a look around you can sign up, as i said the the last message, and visit where you'll be potentially studying on Wednesday 24th January 2018 between 5:30pm and 7:30pm!

Hope to see you around then!
    Wendy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.