Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m really interested in both these subjects and am applying to study them this year but the job prospects don’t seem too promising, does anyone know what I can do with either of these degrees both with and without a PHD?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tariq())
    I’m really interested in both these subjects and am applying to study them this year but the job prospects don’t seem too promising, does anyone know what I can do with either of these degrees both with and without a PHD?
    Could do various jobs in science such as doing research or analysis
    Could teach
    Could use your degree for one of the many generic grad schemes out there. Or perhaps a science related grad scheme for example with a company like Wellcome Trust where they need science literate people in their policy division

ReputationRep:
    Alot STEM is in high demand, you can do medicine, any sort of medical field technician career or various otherfields in biotech etc.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you do decide you want to do Medicine, you'll need to do an additional degree.

ReputationRep:
    You could become a Biomedical Scientist working in Biochemistry with a degree in Healthcare Science (Life Science), although you will cover all area's of the biomedical sciences initially during your education and then work in Biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am enrolling with the Open University to study Biology. Is a Biology degree a good way to enter the industry? I would like to do a Masters Research degree after doing the BSC. Bristol Uni offers a 1 year Biochemistry Masters research degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troska)
    Hi, I am enrolling with the Open University to study Biology. Is a Biology degree a good way to enter the industry? I would like to do a Masters Research degree after doing the BSC. Bristol Uni offers a 1 year Biochemistry Masters research degree.
    It depends on exactly what industry you mean. If you want to research at a University then, if I'm honest and as a practitioner not a researcher, I would think being at a physical university would be advantageous.

The reason I say this is that the people that I know off and friends that are researchers, many PhD researchers, stick to their university. You don't have to, but many completed their BSc and MSc and did very well and lecturer's suggested maybe to stay on and research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    It depends on exactly what industry you mean. If you want to research at a University then, if I'm honest and as a practitioner not a researcher, I would think being at a physical university would be advantageous.

The reason I say this is that the people that I know off and friends that are researchers, many PhD researchers, stick to their university. You don't have to, but many completed their BSc and MSc and did very well and lecturer's suggested maybe to stay on and research.
    I would like to work in the biochem industry as a researcher in the private sector. Mainly Pharmaceuticals.
    Due to circumstances I can only really go for the Open University to get a degree in Biology or Chemistry. Going to Bristol University and doing a 1 year MSC research degree in Biochem will then give me a subject to focus on for a career.
    I hope this helps, I'm not the best at explaining myself I'm afraid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.