Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to lose 40 KG in 6 Months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Any useful advice/tips/diets? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaksTheGreatest)
    You should research 'water fasting' . 'TheProGamerJay' made a YT video of this and it isn't advisable but if done right you can lose it
    I've watched it before and it looks quite dangerous! It might work though...Maybe rather than just drinking water i could go for a smoothie only diet..
    Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    What is your current weight and height? You could take a look in the fitness section of the website and read the Sticky thread information.

I know that it's tempting to set short term goals. You can make a big change in 6 months, but don't set such a tight deadline for a drastic goal.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you eat and how heavy you are. If you were overweight enough you could easily lose that much on a low carbohydrate diet.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The bigger you are more you can lose in a short amount of time

ReputationRep:
    Depends how fat you are lol. 40kg is alot. I weigh around 70kg and I'm 5'11" . If you have similar stats to me you're never going to lose 40kg becaues you'd be a skeleton.

The fatter you are , the quicker you can lose fat tbh , if you are really fat I'd say yes , if you are like 80kg I would say no

ReputationRep:
    You should research 'water fasting' . 'TheProGamerJay' made a YT video of this and it isn't advisable but if done right you can lose it
    Then what happens when you finish losing the weight and go back to eating how you did before? You put all the weight back on, to answer my own question. Ingrain new eating habits rather than going on some stupid and ridiculously unhealthy diet, then you'll not only lose the weight but keep it off also.

ReputationRep:
    That would require a daily calorie deficit on average of around 1715 a day. (Someone correct me if I got the maths wrong, I'm not the best at maths).
    I did: 80.2 lbs x 3500 (the approx calorie deficit needed to lose one pound), then divided by 6 months, and then divided by 30 for average number of days per month.

So in short, no. That's a ridiculously large deficit for the vast VAST majority of people. You'd have to be already quite heavy and/or extremely active to be able to realistically achieve that kind of deficit.

Just for reference, my maintenance is 1600 calories per day (low because I'm very short). So I would need to eat nothing and then do 100 calories worth of exercise every day to lose weight at that rate.

Find out your TDEE (there are online calculators). Then you'll be able to figure out how much of a deficit you can realistically achieve per day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That would require a daily calorie deficit on average of around 1715 a day. (Someone correct me if I got the maths wrong, I'm not the best at maths).
    I did: 80.2 lbs x 3500 (the approx calorie deficit needed to lose one pound), then divided by 6 months, and then divided by 30 for average number of days per month.

So in short, no. That's a ridiculously large deficit for the vast VAST majority of people. You'd have to be already quite heavy and/or extremely active to be able to realistically achieve that kind of deficit.

Just for reference, my maintenance is 1600 calories per day (low because I'm very short). So I would need to eat nothing and then do 100 calories worth of exercise every day to lose weight at that rate.

Find out your TDEE (there are online calculators). Then you'll be able to figure out how much of a deficit you can realistically achieve per day.
    This, really. I'm not far off 200lbs when I'm lean due to my height and training exp and that sort of deficit is something I've done, but is very aggressive even for someone my size and I wouldn't go any more aggressive than that. If OP is currently very overweight then she may get away with it, otherwise I'd advise taking things MUCH slower.

ReputationRep:
    CleverSquirrel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    This, really. I'm not far off 200lbs when I'm lean due to my height and training exp and that sort of deficit is something I've done, but is very aggressive even for someone my size and I wouldn't go any more aggressive than that. If OP is currently very overweight then she may get away with it, otherwise I'd advise taking things MUCH slower.

Yep, just did a quick calc.

Assuming OP is around average height and lightly active, she'd have to weight at least 300lbs to have a TDEE close to 3000 calories, which would leave her with 1300 a day with the require deficit for this rate of weight loss.

Research the keto diet.

What ever u do pls do NOT listen to this, it's dangerous
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Miss.Unknow)
    Any useful advice/tips/diets? thanks
    It is possible but it would be way too unhealthy ./ wouldnt be sustainable weight loss.

My advice, from a medical (well healthcare) perspective is that you should aim to lose between 13 and 26kg in a 6 month period for it to be sustainable / be healthy.

Offcourse I have no idea about how much you weigh IRL and essentially the amount of weight you need to lose might not be as much as 40kg.

Also incidentally, why do you need to lose that much in that short time

ReputationRep:
    Cut down carbs, increase your protein intake, and exercise 3-4 times a week, i started at 70kg and by after 2 and half months I was down to 63kg- slow and steadily losing the weight, it works differently with everyone, but it works!!

Just stick to your calorie goal for a day and exercise, don’t make any drastic changes as it’s hard to stick to it whenever you try and maintain!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Welcome Squad

Essentially the calculation would be dependent on the OPs own body weight. Also for reference (for anyone here tbh) your ideal bodyweight is as follows:

Female: 45kg +(2.3 x every inch above 5 ft).

Male: 50kg +(2.3 x every inch above 5 ft)

The weight can vary due to different factors but ideally people need to have a BMI of 20-25 kg/m^2 (m^2 is your height in metres squared e.g. a height of 150cm (5ft) is 1.5m, thus 1.5 squared (m^2) is 2.25).

ReputationRep:
    Please don't try to lose such a huge amount of weight in only 6 months

ReputationRep:

That's great advice thanks! I currently eat 1600 calories a day but without exercise..maybe that's my problem?..Im not happy with the way i look so im trying to change drastically before uni..I weigh 80 Kg and I'm 175 cm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    Please don't try to lose such a huge amount of weight in only 6 months
    Awh thank you you're so sweet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.