Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to lose 40 KG in 6 Months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    Essentially the calculation would be dependent on the OPs own body weight. Also for reference (for anyone here tbh) your ideal bodyweight is as follows:

Female: 45kg +(2.3 x every inch above 5 ft).

Male: 50kg +(2.3 x every inch above 5 ft)

The weight can vary due to different factors but ideally people need to have a BMI of 20-25 kg/m^2 (m^2 is your height in metres squared e.g. a height of 150cm (5ft) is 1.5m, thus 1.5 squared (m^2) is 2.25).
    Well i weigh 80 KG and is 175 cm....Soo i should be around 61kg according to your calculations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss.Unknow)
    Any useful advice/tips/diets? thanks
    Almost certainly not. The physics just don't add up. 40kg is about 360,000 calories which is 2,000 calories per day for 6 months. This is absolutely not a sustainable calorie deficit unless you already weigh 200kg+ (the more you weigh, the more energy is spent keeping all that weight at body temperature).

DON'T try any kind of fasting. It can be very dangerous and lead to a rebound or possibly serious illness. You want about a 500kcal deficit which would mean losing 10kg in 6 months. Or better still, just ask a doctor. They probably know more than your random guy on TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CleverSquirrel)
    Cut down carbs, increase your protein intake, and exercise 3-4 times a week, i started at 70kg and by after 2 and half months I was down to 63kg- slow and steadily losing the weight, it works differently with everyone, but it works!!

Just stick to your calorie goal for a day and exercise, don’t make any drastic changes as it’s hard to stick to it whenever you try and maintain!
    Great advice thank you
    Good luck on your journey

(Original post by quasa)
    It is possible but it would be way too unhealthy ./ wouldnt be sustainable weight loss.

My advice, from a medical (well healthcare) perspective is that you should aim to lose between 13 and 26kg in a 6 month period for it to be sustainable / be healthy.

Offcourse I have no idea about how much you weigh IRL and essentially the amount of weight you need to lose might not be as much as 40kg.

Also incidentally, why do you need to lose that much in that short time
    I weigh 80kg and is 175cm...
    I just don't like the way i look and wanted to change it drastically before uni i guess....

(Original post by Anonymous)
    What ever u do pls do NOT listen to this, it's dangerous
    Wasn't gonna lol no way!

Research the keto diet.
    Looks interesting! I might give it a try

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    Yep, just did a quick calc.

Assuming OP is around average height and lightly active, she'd have to weight at least 300lbs to have a TDEE close to 3000 calories, which would leave her with 1300 a day with the require deficit for this rate of weight loss.
    Well i weigh 80 kg and is 175 cm.. i consume around 1600 calories a day but without exercise and like i mentioned before maybe that's my problem? Thanks for your advice though
    (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
    This, really. I'm not far off 200lbs when I'm lean due to my height and training exp and that sort of deficit is something I've done, but is very aggressive even for someone my size and I wouldn't go any more aggressive than that. If OP is currently very overweight then she may get away with it, otherwise I'd advise taking things MUCH slower.
    Thanks! I do think im currently very overweight at 80kg (and 175 cm) and might try to increase my daily physical activities, so walking rather than taking the bus and going to the gym on the weekends.

Why do you want to lose weight? I mean, is it because you want to look good for someone? Don’t care about them, believe in yourself. You r perfect the way you are. But if you feel unhealthy then u can choose to lose weight because it’s for the better.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    Almost certainly not. The physics just don't add up. 40kg is about 360,000 calories which is 2,000 calories per day for 6 months. This is absolutely not a sustainable calorie deficit unless you already weigh 200kg+ (the more you weigh, the more energy is spent keeping all that weight at body temperature).

DON'T try any kind of fasting. It can be very dangerous and lead to a rebound or possibly serious illness. You want about a 500kcal deficit which would mean losing 10kg in 6 months. Or better still, just ask a doctor. They probably know more than your random guy on TSR.
    I only consume 1600 calories daily but with no exercise. I think im very overweight at 80kg and 175 cm and should be in the 40s/50s..but now that everyone is saying that it's too much maybe i will go off it and just stick to losing 20kg.
    DW im defo not fasting without food and only on water for a month! That's crazy
    Well i'm planning on vising the dietitian soon :P SO that's sorted and thanks for your advice.

ReputationRep:
    I only consume 1600 calories daily but with no exercise. I think im very overweight at 80kg and 175 cm and should be in the 40s/50s..but now that everyone is saying that it's too much maybe i will go off it and just stick to losing 20kg.
    Well i'm planning on vising the dietitian soon :P SO that's sorted and thanks for your advice.
    I wouldnt recommend going as low as 40 at your height. I couldn't function as a human when my BMI went below 14. Aim for ~60kg minimum.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend counting calories - data can be very inaccurate, especially when dealing with portion sizes.

At 175cm, you should be a bare minimum of 55kg (going by BMI - it isn't a great measurement but for this purpose it will do). Anything up to 76kg is considered a healthy weight - at 80kg, you're overweight but not by a huge amount. 20kg off would be plenty.

As for excercise, it doesn't do much for weight loss because many people subconsciously compensate by eating more (I do it all the time!). But do try to have some excercise in your life. It's good for you and I find it can help get rid of stress.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend counting calories - data can be very inaccurate, especially when dealing with portion sizes.

At 175cm, you should be a bare minimum of 55kg (going by BMI - it isn't a great measurement but for this purpose it will do). Anything up to 76kg is considered a healthy weight - at 80kg, you're overweight but not by a huge amount. 20kg off would be plenty.

As for excercise, it doesn't do much for weight loss because many people subconsciously compensate by eating more (I do it all the time!). But do try to have some excercise in your life. It's good for you and I find it can help get rid of stress.
    Alright! I've decided to go for 60 Kg for now. Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    That's great advice thanks! I currently eat 1600 calories a day but without exercise..maybe that's my problem?..Im not happy with the way i look so im trying to change drastically before uni..I weigh 80 Kg and I'm 175 cm.
    Don't think you can lose 40kg. You're not fat enough lol. You'l go into skeleton mode :laugh:

20-30 kg is more realistic.

ReputationRep:

I regularly go 24hrs on just water and it works great.

Doctors don't know anything about weight loss.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laissez‒faire)
    2,4-Dinitrophenol. You'll thermogenically burn the fat off, 1 kg a day.
    Recommending DNP to a child doesn't seem very sensible, nor would recommending the various other options I won't name be very sensible. Even ECA or something minor would be unnecessary.

I suspect you were not offering this as actual advice, but just wanted to make sure OP does not go on the internet and order something they shouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Recommending DNP to a child doesn't seem very sensible, nor would recommending the various other options I won't name be very sensible. Even ECA or something minor would be unnecessary.

I suspect you were not offering this as actual advice, but just wanted to make sure OP does not go on the internet and order something they shouldn't.
    You are right

Spoiler:
    Show

You've used dnp? :holmes:
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    You are right

Spoiler:
    Show

You've used dnp? :holmes:

Not personally, no. Nor would I, for all kinds of reasons :nope:

ReputationRep:
    Not personally, no. Nor would I, for all kinds of reasons :nope:
    I'm already lean (around 15%) but I'm tempted to give it one pop to get to the single digits. Maybe it's all in my head and I need to stop trying to visit Zyzz.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'm already lean (around 15%) but I'm tempted to give it one pop to get to the single digits. Maybe it's all in my head and I need to stop trying to visit Zyzz.
    Do you have any need to be that lean? I don't think it is worth risking your health for improved vascularity. Keep it natty

We're all gna make it brah, but Zyzz would probably recommend making it absent the use of quite as many chemical aids if possible - with hindsight....

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to lose weight? I mean, is it because you want to look good for someone? Don’t care about them, believe in yourself. You r perfect the way you are. But if you feel unhealthy then u can choose to lose weight because it’s for the better.
    What a totally moronic statement. You're advocating for someone to stay obese, which is detrimental to their health and lowers their life expectancy. Delete this post before someone gullible falls for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calsmith12)
    What a totally moronic statement. You're advocating for someone to stay obese, which is detrimental to their health and lowers their life expectancy. Delete this post before someone gullible falls for it.

OPs BMI is 26.1, they're in the overweight category by only 5kg. Not even close to the obese category.

I'm just being pedantic.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have any need to be that lean? I don't think it is worth risking your health for improved vascularity. Keep it natty

We're all gna make it brah, but Zyzz would probably recommend making it absent the use of quite as many chemical aids if possible - with hindsight....
    I've just been brainwashed by all the fake natties around these days

rip rich piano natty king

Sabotaging others because you're too lazy to make an effort on yourself. smh

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm your height!!
    I defo wouldn't recommend less than 55kg, its not going to be maintainable or healthy. If you want to get to around 58, you would likely be very slim still. 60 is probs best, but will take over 6 months to lose properly because your not very fat!!

ReputationRep:
    Any useful advice/tips/diets? thanks
    Well, other than the fact that you can lose water and muscle mass, let's assume you want to primarily lose fat.

7'700 calories are 1kg

40kg are thus 308'000

There are ca. 182 days in 6 months

308'000/182 = 1'692 calories per day on average.

I dare say you will find it rather unpleasant eating a 1.7k calorie deficit a day. In fact, if you are a girl, you may not even currently eat that much in a day, so even fasting wouldn't get you there potentially. Of course exercise burns calories, but not eating or eating a bare, bare minimum and exercising...would not advise it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.