Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not sure if I should drop out of Uni? I'm confused. Watch

ReputationRep:
    I started my first year of Uni in September and I've been unsure if I have made the right decision. When I started, I was really unhappy with the course because it wasn't what I thought it would be. I decided to change course because of this, as it was getting to the point where I felt sick getting out of bed in the morning.

I went from studying Software Engineering to Web Development, seen as it was the unit I was most interested in college. It's rare for me to be interested in anything so I thought it would be the right choice for me. I wasn't sure what to take, as at the time of choosing Uni courses I didn't realise that I could have taken a degree unrelated to IT (I ended up taking BTEC IT in college because they wouldn't let me take A-levels, which was annoying). I just felt stuck for choice, as I didn't know what to do after college.

At the moment I just feel unmotivated to get the work do. I work through it, but it feels like a slog. I don't want to waste this opportunity, because it would be a waste in terms of finance. I want to make something of myself, but I just feel depressed most days. I'm unhappy most days anyway, in fact I've felt like this since I was in high school.

I don't really have much going on socially and I find it difficult to meet new people. Some days I feel like I'm going insane and its been happening for years. I can't remember the last day I've gone where I haven't talked myself down for having a poor social life. I just feel like I'm wasting away. This along with the Uni work just makes me really unhappy. It just doesn't feel like I'm living.

I know I have to have something going on, either Uni, apprenticeship or a job. I just can't tell if this was a good decision. I feel better on this course compared to the other, but the motivation isn't there. It's hard to tell if the course is making me feel this way, or if I'd just be unhappy doing anything.

I understand that there will be times I feel unhappy, no matter the situation, but this feels too much.

I'm staying for the rest of the semester, see if my opinion improves. I just feel stuck. Any advice you could give me?

ReputationRep:
    work at your degree, dont just read the lecture slides and go to lectures, literally read the reading list. Youll soon see things you thought were totally oblivious and unimportant begin to connect, and you will see that your course was developed by academics to teach you a whole connected concept. you wont realize this until you do some work. Start on your courseworks as well. just indelve into the course, im a first year as well, alot of the modules i was like why am i doing this, but now as ive gotten deeper ive begum to find connections and it all began to click!!!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.