Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it too late to start revising for my GCSEs? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So technically I started revising a month ago, for my mocks in December and my real thing. But I don’t feel like I have done revision, like I’ve been doing questions and writing notes and stuff. Would u consider that as revision? Also is it late to start now? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Of course that is revision; also look over specs and all material you have covered so far before answering questions is a method I would suggest. Also, it is clearly not too late; exams are not for 6 months...I got 11A*'s and know many others with the same results who began revision the month before. Although mocks are worth taking seriously if you want a genuine representation of your abilities, I chose not to do much work for them, ending up getting very average grades in them but that did not matter because in my real exams I got great results.

ReputationRep:
    If you're going over / can recall the knowledge then you're revising, if not, take more notes and go over them. It's not too late to start, although it's advisable to start ASAP, I started around April time, which I believe was too late, but I still got decent grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student27839)
    Of course that is revision; also look over specs and all material you have covered so far before answering questions is a method I would suggest. Also, it is clearly not too late; exams are not for 6 months...I got 11A*'s and know many others with the same results who began revision the month before. Although mocks are worth taking seriously if you want a genuine representation of your abilities, I chose not to do much work for them, ending up getting very average grades in them but that did not matter because in my real exams I got great results.
    Ah ok thank you! I do want good grades in my mocks because it will give me motivation and I didn’t do well in my year ten one. Also the college I want to go to requires your recent report/mock grades to see what ur ability is like... so I kinda do wanna do well. So a month before my mocks isn’t too late to revise for right?

ReputationRep:
    M8, it's never too late. Most of your revision will be done the night before the exam. Just use the specification (spec is love, spec is life) and it'll
    all be alright in the end. Do keep on practising questions so you get to know what the mark scheme asks for. Btw, making notes doesn't matter unless you know them, so I would recommend writing out proper nice notecards now with all the spec content so you can revise from them easily later. Also, it's not like mocks matter. You are meant to learn from them and if you get better grades later, you can reapply to colleges and sixth forms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    Ah ok thank you! I do want good grades in my mocks because it will give me motivation and I didn’t do well in my year ten one. Also the college I want to go to requires your recent report/mock grades to see what ur ability is like... so I kinda do wanna do well. So a month before my mocks isn’t too late to revise for right?
    Definitely not don't worry; that's when I started for my actual exams! Use specs and CGP guides (they got me all A*'s I swear!!) I never once opened a class textbook and only used CGP throughout exams as they tell you what you need for the exams; textbooks have far too much info in them!! After going through all material, go through past papers, especially in sciences and maths. In sciences, model answers will become repetitive and familiar to you and in maths, past papers are the key to getting a good grade!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crimniam)
    M8, it's never too late. Most of your revision will be done the night before the exam. Just use the specification (spec is love, spec is life) and it'll
    all be alright in the end. Do keep on practising questions so you get to know what the mark scheme asks for. Btw, making notes doesn't matter unless you know them, so I would recommend writing out proper nice notecards now with all the spec content so you can revise from them easily later. Also, it's not like mocks matter. You are meant to learn from them and if you get better grades later, you can reapply to colleges and sixth forms.
    Okay thanks! I think I’ll use the spec from now on...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student27839)
    Definitely not don't worry; that's when I started for my actual exams! Use specs and CGP guides (they got me all A*'s I swear!!) I never once opened a class textbook and only used CGP throughout exams as they tell you what you need for the exams; textbooks have far too much info in them!! After going through all material, go through past papers, especially in sciences and maths. In sciences, model answers will become repetitive and familiar to you and in maths, past papers are the key to getting a good grade!! Good luck!
    Okay thanks! There r specs in my science cgp textbook I have, could I use them? 🤔
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Berrydo)
    So technically I started revising a month ago, for my mocks in December and my real thing. But I don’t feel like I have done revision, like I’ve been doing questions and writing notes and stuff. Would u consider that as revision? Also is it late to start now? Thanks!
    Why would it be too late?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.