Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello. I am wanting to join the Armed Forces. I am wanting to experience the front lines and some 'action', while making use of my Electrical Engineering degree.

How is the Communication Troop Officer role in the Royal Signals? How often do you get action or are you constantly sitting In Fobs?

Is it possible to change roles mid service? Furthermore is it possible to change branch midservice ie. Raf to Navy?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by BlueJ98)
    No idea about Signals. It is rare but not unheard of to change role mid-career, mostly the training and experience is branch specific and you'd set yourself back quite a bit, it's not like a university course. It is similarly rare, perhaps rarer, but not unheard of, to change Service. You usually have to retire and rejoin, but very rarely it is more straightforward if one Service is in surplus and one is in need of people in a certain branch - therefore usually only possibly at Flt/Lt, Lt, Capt or below.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.