Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'I Studied a Hard Subject So You Dont Have To' Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManaPigs)
    I was thinking of using this phrase as my tinder bio because I studied a hard STEM subject at a top 5 uni. Its a bit of a joke but it kinda does emphasise my education which im pretty proud of. Do girls find this a put off?
    I'd find that off-putting yes, because it is pretty condescending - implying that I don't already study a hard subject. A) girls study STEM too and b) my subject (languages) is hard!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to come across as an insufferable *******, feel free.

ReputationRep:
    'My Subject ain't the only thing that's hard for u *winky face*'

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of using this phrase as my tinder bio because I studied a hard STEM subject at a top 5 uni. Its a bit of a joke but it kinda does emphasise my education which im pretty proud of. Do girls find this a put off?
    Sounds rather braggy and elitist to me.

Also, you might want to think about rephrasing "hard subject". Just saying, it could be interpreted differently...

ReputationRep:
    You'd sound like a not very nice bloke

ReputationRep:
    I mean unless you're on very decent money (which will come up when you put something like that) then no...Even if you were it's arrogant and weird..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackieox)
    I mean unless you're on very decent money (which will come up when you put something like that) then no...Even if you were it's arrogant and weird..
    I'm currently not on good money because I own a puppy breeding farm.

ReputationRep:
    My god dude don't put that as your tinder bio. Its unfunny. Its arrogant. Its condescending. Its pretentious. It makes assumptions that might not even be true, and its close-minded, shows a narrow world view and poor social calibration.

You would literally be hard pressed to write anything worse that isn't directly offensive.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't like it personally, it makes it seem like you think you are better than everyone else. Intelligence is a good thing, elitism often isn't.
    • Very Important Poster

Makes you sound like a massive Whittington. Go for it and reap your reward.
    • Very Important Poster

How does it make me ignorant?
    Lol you prove the point.

ReputationRep:
    DOOOOONT
    That honestly just looks like you're showing off, which girls HATE. I'm a girl and I would be completely put off by that, it's like you're really up yourself and think ur a genius. Maybe try to make a pun about science or something?
    Though, don't scrap the phrase completely, it would be really good for an ask me anything thread "I studied a hard subject so you don't have to AMA(STEM)" (that's actually what I thought this was gonna be)

ReputationRep:
    I think it implies that people are in your debt because of it. Like people aren't worried about having to study a really hard subject because there's no-one else to do it. It's not like "Oh I have really extreme dyspraxia but there's nobody else to take physics so I guess it's all up to me..."

ReputationRep:
    I studied a STEM subject from a good university as well and I'm female. The message is a bit inappropriate.

Intelligence is great but females can work hard TOO, people don’t want to completely rely on someone and be second to them. It’s kind of a 1900’s esque Statement to me, I wouldn’t.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The mere thought of a Stem subject makes me (as a 'girl') shudder with horror.

Thank goodness for courses like needlework, dancing and embroidery, which enable us girls to keep our places and avoid difficult stuff like science. Thank you OP, for keeping this from us.

ReputationRep:
    that is a such a turn on for me.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the girl's sense of humour. i would take this as sarcastic so i think it's funny but as you can see from this thread a lot of other people don't lol. or if someone's insecure about their intelligence it might offend them/make them feel bad.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said you would come across as arrogant and what type of girls are you hoping to attract?

Someone who expects you to pay?

I would interpret it as I'll earn the money so you don't have to...

ReputationRep:
    that's funny af, who cares, use it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.