Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to break up with some one depressed or suicidal? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Awhile ago this one girl asked me out, I was never really into her but I thought I'd give it a shot. Now that I've been with her for about a month I've realised that I'm not interested in her romantically or sexually. She's told me that she loves me on many occations and that if she didn't have me she would have killed herself. She's told me many times that I'm her only true friend and that I'm the only person she really trusts. I want to break up with her and just be friends but I fear that if I do break up with her she would get very depressed or kill herself. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do?

ReputationRep:
    It seems like a tricky situation. You're kinda trapped, whether you intended to get there or not. She might use the fact that she says she's suicidal to make you stay. I recommend you try and make a professional aware of the problem so you k ow that when you do split up she does have someone to go to.

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I would advise doing is getting her professional help. Take her to a doctor or therapist or even tell her parents about what she said. Make sure she is in safe hands before breaking up with her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by transpanman)
    Awhile ago this one girl asked me out, I was never really into her but I thought I'd give it a shot. Now that I've been with her for about a month I've realised that I'm not interested in her romantically or sexually. She's told me that she loves me on many occations and that if she didn't have me she would have killed herself. She's told me many times that I'm her only true friend and that I'm the only person she really trusts. I want to break up with her and just be friends but I fear that if I do break up with her she would get very depressed or kill herself. Does anyone have any advice for what I should do?
    Your better off telling her the truth but say it to her the nicest way possible. She will hate you more for lying to her and eventually you would need to break up with her anyway. I doubt she would kill herself and if you feel like she in a serious danger then your better off telling her family.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe don't say it to her face directly but just act distant or show signs you're not intrested anymore so much so that she has to break up with you. Being depressed myself, this would hit me like a ton of bricks and I would constantly question what I've done wrong and if I'm not good enough. If you are going to directly break up with her make sure you're reassuring her it's not her fault and just say you're not looking for a relationship or anything serious right now so there's no hard feelings. make sure you stand by her though and check up on her every now again so she doesn't feel like you hate her. good luck to you x

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.