Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are Hindu's allowed sex before marriage? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is there anywhere in the Holy book that mentions this?

must do, a lot of us do it

ReputationRep:
    Nothing in the Vedas or puranas says that a Hindu can't have pre-marital sex, but it does place great emphasis on sex being a union of souls for procreation, so shagging about for no other reason than pleasure is still technically frowned on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge_)
    Is there anywhere in the Holy book that mentions this?
    Which holy book? we have hundreds

On the religious side the vedas geeta and upanishads dont really talk about this. conservative cultural attitudes are far more influential in hindu society than what hindu scripture actually says.
    Our scriptures dont have prohibitions or commandments. they are guidelines or recommendations but ultimately the individual decides taking into account context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gjd800)
    Nothing in the Vedas or puranas says that a Hindu can't have pre-marital sex, but it does place great emphasis on sex being a union of souls for procreation, so shagging about for no other reason than pleasure is still technically frowned on.
    let's not mention the kama sutra :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaushikp)
    let's not mention the kama sutra :lol:
    Haha, surprised the OP didn't! It is a bit misrepresented though, the emphasis on family life and family values etc are all there in that, too. Most of it is really a lot of stuff on the 'philosophy of love', I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, surprised the OP didn't! It is a bit misrepresented though, the emphasis on family life and family values etc are all there in that, too. Most of it is really a lot of stuff on the 'philosophy of love', I guess.
    that is true. sadly the sexual pleasure element is really the only thing its known for even though it has a lot more stuff in there

ReputationRep:
    that is true. sadly the sexual pleasure element is really the only thing its known for even though it has a lot more stuff in there
    Your average Joe is more concerned with getting their end wet than with understanding the origins of desire, I suppose. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    Your average Joe is more concerned with getting their end wet than with understanding the origins of desire, I suppose. Ha.
    :rofl:

understanding the origins of desire is far more liberating in my view lool

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

understanding the origins of desire is far more liberating in my view lool
    Well, that's the goal!

This is really why I love Indian philosophy so much, to be honest. It has a depth and life-relevance that the Western stuff has mostly moved away from, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's the goal!

This is really why I love Indian philosophy so much, to be honest. It has a depth and life-relevance that the Western stuff has mostly moved away from, unfortunately.
    Unfortunately very few people study indian philosophy in any real depth. most people just have a superficial understanding of karma and kama and thats indian philosophy done for them.
    Even in india academics are more interested in and have more respect for modern western philosophy than buddhist or hindu philosophy

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately very few people study indian philosophy in any real depth. most people just have a superficial understanding of karma and kama and thats indian philosophy done for them.
    Even in india academics are more interested in and have more respect for modern western philosophy than buddhist or hindu philosophy
    It's an uphill battle. There are only two of us in our department with any interest in this stuff, breaks my heart.

ReputationRep:
    Ngl i didnt even know theres multiple holy books- this is quite bad lol, i was grown in a Hindu family, but I guess you can say I really dont know much about it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge_)
    Ngl i didnt even know theres multiple holy books- this is quite bad lol, i was grown in a Hindu family, but I guess you can say I really dont know much about it....
    If you are interested in enhancing your knowledge and learning the basics then I would recommend that you watch these videos whenever you can.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...WBqo7yKfcLJlXN

ReputationRep:
    Which holy book? we have hundreds

On the religious side the vedas geeta and upanishads dont really talk about this. conservative cultural attitudes are far more influential in hindu society than what hindu scripture actually says.
    Our scriptures dont have prohibitions or commandments. they are guidelines or recommendations but ultimately the individual decides taking into account context.
    I agree. It's really up to an individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriousGuy777)
    If you are interested in enhancing your knowledge and learning the basics then I would recommend that you watch these videos whenever you can.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...WBqo7yKfcLJlXN
    cheers for this! from the replies it seems its not really forbidden which is a relief

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.