Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK so to make a long story short: Im a dual national who is about to complete a biology BSc in the USA. I would say it is closer to biomedical science going by the catalogue at Uni of Leeds.

I now want to move back over to the UK (and yes I have residency) and I am just not sure what routes to take if I want to work as a clinical lab scientist, or if I would be best off studying in the US and transferring.

I have the option of studying for Medical technology for an additional year 1/2 in the US, but im really not sure if this is the same as a clinical scientist.

So where do I go from my BSc?

If I want to eventually work in a hospital lab then is the STP the only option or are there other routes?

If the STP is not an option then what masters degrees might be applicable? I have seen that manchester uni offers a masters in molecular pathology, but there isnt much info available for where this leads and they have yet to respond after 3 weeks.

What resources are available for additional research? Healthcareers has done my head in.

Ultimately I want a practical job that is not research based, and draws on what I have spent so much time learning. Ideally I would like to earn at least 35,000k a year.

I have some other contingency plans like Physicians assistant, Genetic counseling (but is also STP), and post grad entry to medicine - but theyre obviously all competitive. So I'll gladly take any recommendations for other clinical fields, or post graduate study. I enjoy all aspects of cellular, microbiology, and genetics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by artesin)
    OK so to make a long story short: Im a dual national who is about to complete a biology BSc in the USA. I would say it is closer to biomedical science going by the catalogue at Uni of Leeds.

I now want to move back over to the UK (and yes I have residency) and I am just not sure what routes to take if I want to work as a clinical lab scientist, or if I would be best off studying in the US and transferring.

I have the option of studying for Medical technology for an additional year 1/2 in the US, but im really not sure if this is the same as a clinical scientist.

So where do I go from my BSc?

If I want to eventually work in a hospital lab then is the STP the only option or are there other routes?

If the STP is not an option then what masters degrees might be applicable? I have seen that manchester uni offers a masters in molecular pathology, but there isnt much info available for where this leads and they have yet to respond after 3 weeks.

What resources are available for additional research? Healthcareers has done my head in.

Ultimately I want a practical job that is not research based, and draws on what I have spent so much time learning. Ideally I would like to earn at least 35,000k a year.

I have some other contingency plans like Physicians assistant, Genetic counseling (but is also STP), and post grad entry to medicine - but theyre obviously all competitive. So I'll gladly take any recommendations for other clinical fields, or post graduate study. I enjoy all aspects of cellular, microbiology, and genetics.
    If you want to be a clinical scientist in the NHS the only route in is through the STP program. If you want to do research you can do any relevant degree really but will need a masters if not a PhD. For grad entry med you need to follow the GEM route.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.