Turn on thread page Beta

Coming from the US, what are routes into clinical science? watch

ReputationRep:
    OK so to make a long story short: Im a dual national who is about to complete a biology BSc in the USA. I would say it is closer to biomedical science going by the catalogue at Uni of Leeds.

I now want to move back over to the UK (and yes I have residency) and I am just not sure what routes to take if I want to work as a clinical lab scientist, or if I would be best off studying in the US and transferring.

I have the option of studying for Medical technology for an additional year 1/2 in the US, but im really not sure if this is the same as a clinical scientist.

So where do I go from my BSc?

If I want to eventually work in a hospital lab then is the STP the only option or are there other routes?

If the STP is not an option then what masters degrees might be applicable? I have seen that manchester uni offers a masters in molecular pathology, but there isnt much info available for where this leads and they have yet to respond after 3 weeks.

What resources are available for additional research? Healthcareers has done my head in.

Ultimately I want a practical job that is not research based, and draws on what I have spent so much time learning. Ideally I would like to earn at least 35,000k a year.

I have some other contingency plans like Physicians assistant, Genetic counseling (but is also STP), and post grad entry to medicine - but theyre obviously all competitive. So I'll gladly take any recommendations for other clinical fields, or post graduate study. I enjoy all aspects of cellular, microbiology, and genetics.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by artesin)
    OK so to make a long story short: Im a dual national who is about to complete a biology BSc in the USA. I would say it is closer to biomedical science going by the catalogue at Uni of Leeds.

I now want to move back over to the UK (and yes I have residency) and I am just not sure what routes to take if I want to work as a clinical lab scientist, or if I would be best off studying in the US and transferring.

I have the option of studying for Medical technology for an additional year 1/2 in the US, but im really not sure if this is the same as a clinical scientist.

So where do I go from my BSc?

If I want to eventually work in a hospital lab then is the STP the only option or are there other routes?

If the STP is not an option then what masters degrees might be applicable? I have seen that manchester uni offers a masters in molecular pathology, but there isnt much info available for where this leads and they have yet to respond after 3 weeks.

What resources are available for additional research? Healthcareers has done my head in.

Ultimately I want a practical job that is not research based, and draws on what I have spent so much time learning. Ideally I would like to earn at least 35,000k a year.

I have some other contingency plans like Physicians assistant, Genetic counseling (but is also STP), and post grad entry to medicine - but theyre obviously all competitive. So I'll gladly take any recommendations for other clinical fields, or post graduate study. I enjoy all aspects of cellular, microbiology, and genetics.
    If you want to be a clinical scientist in the NHS the only route in is through the STP program. If you want to do research you can do any relevant degree really but will need a masters if not a PhD. For grad entry med you need to follow the GEM route.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.