Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hiya -

I’m currently doing my final year of GCSE’s and I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do post-16.
    I have always wanted to become a police officer, but with the current cuts to numbers in the forces, is it worth me applying as soon as I hit 18, or should I go to uni and get a degree, then move on to policing.

Also, what A-Levels do police forces prefer, and what degrees are respected?

Many thanks for any of your answers.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by PFK11)
    Hiya -

I’m currently doing my final year of GCSE’s and I’ve been thinking a lot about what I want to do post-16.
    I have always wanted to become a police officer, but with the current cuts to numbers in the forces, is it worth me applying as soon as I hit 18, or should I go to uni and get a degree, then move on to policing.

Also, what A-Levels do police forces prefer, and what degrees are respected?

Many thanks for any of your answers.
    There are a number of different routes into the police force. I've just had a look at the Met police as they're the biggest I believe. I would go with meeting the entry requirements and a strong application. 'Respect' is not going to get you anywhere as this is not really an academic job.

ReputationRep:
    You *dont need a degree to apply but having one does help you get up the ladder faster. But, if you applied at 18 and worked hard/playing their game (ie doing what they ask of you and beyond) you'd work your way up just as fast in terms of career progression.

ReputationRep:
    From 2020 a degree qualification will be required to enter the police force because of the changing nature of policing. My oldest grandson currently has a degree and is in the Met. He didn’t need a degree when he joined but is glad now that he did it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seamus123)
    From 2020 a degree qualification will be required to enter the police force because of the changing nature of policing. My oldest grandson currently has a degree and is in the Met. He didn’t need a degree when he joined but is glad now that he did it.
    I believe the Met is 2020 but other forces are introducing this scheme as early as March 2018 from what I've read

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.