Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don’t seem to click with my flatmates anymore but my coursemates... definitely not the type of people I see hanging around with long term. I’m going to societies soon but I’m frightened that me being so reserved and quiet will cost me again like it has for a long time. Is there anything I’m doing wrong, I’m not a party animal but I’m not a nerd, I like to go out and get drunk etc, also worth noting I’m not the kind of guy that constantly goes for one night stands, in fact I think it’s kinda wrong it happens so often(especially since a girl is a **** for doing it so often but a guy is just known as a “player”). I have a few “Twitter friends”, most of them want to meet me at some point but that’s no excuse for making friends at uni. If anyone here is a Bournemouth uni fresher though, then hmu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    I don’t seem to click with my flatmates anymore but my coursemates... definitely not the type of people I see hanging around with long term. I’m going to societies soon but I’m frightened that me being so reserved and quiet will cost me again like it has for a long time. Is there anything I’m doing wrong, I’m not a party animal but I’m not a nerd, I like to go out and get drunk etc, also worth noting I’m not the kind of guy that constantly goes for one night stands, in fact I think it’s kinda wrong it happens so often(especially since a girl is a **** for doing it so often but a guy is just known as a “player”). I have a few “Twitter friends”, most of them want to meet me at some point but that’s no excuse for making friends at uni. If anyone here is a Bournemouth uni fresher though, then hmu
    Describe what each of your flatmates are like and why you think you dont gel with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BirdIsWord)
    Describe what each of your flatmates are like and why you think you dont gel with them
    They’re all very different to me, one of them is neither shy or confident, who seems to have completely gone off me recently when I was talking to them the most at the start and the remaining two are very confident people that I struggled to bond with initially and still do now. I don’t think I gel with them as they don’t seem intent in getting to know me, and after just saying hi when they see me in the morning they don’t say anything, and they also knock on each other’s doors a lot for a chat quite often, they haven’t knocked on my door once

ReputationRep:
    Halp pls

ReputationRep:
    You say that they don't knock on your door or say anything to you, but it doesn't seem like you say anything to them either, if you wanna make friends, you kinda have to talk to people.If I was one of the confident flat mates and there was one person who always talked to me and another who didn't, then its obvious who I would want to talk to or hang out with. Nobody would really want to knock on the door of someone they don't know.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to make friends then just talk to people that you see often, it isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Most people expect people to line up to talk to them and make friends, and then moan when this doesnt happen. Even if you don't like some of the people, it's better to know someone than no-one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oksafebye)
    If you want to make friends then just talk to people that you see often, it isn't as hard as people make it out to be. Most people expect people to line up to talk to them and make friends, and then moan when this doesnt happen. Even if you don't like some of the people, it's better to know someone than no-one
    But difference is that they were doing it from the start, it doesn’t bother me about my flatmates too much anyway. Obvs I don’t expect people to form a queue but it’s about going into the situation where I encounter someone and can have a conversation, that’s all I wish to do personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrianMcEgg)
    But difference is that they were doing it from the start, it doesn’t bother me about my flatmates too much anyway. Obvs I don’t expect people to form a queue but it’s about going into the situation where I encounter someone and can have a conversation, that’s all I wish to do personally
    If you’re by someone a lot in a lecture or at lunch or something or you just see them a lot and recognise their face (i’m not at uni yet so idk what examples to give) then just talk to them, introduce yourself, for example be like “hey i’ve seen you lots around here what do you study” or whatever you talk about at uni, then just talk about random stuff, if someone gives you dirty looks when you’re trying to be friendly then they probably aren’t worth making friends with anyway
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.