Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student finance refused my loan "Home office check failed" Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My student finance been refused because home office check failed. I been living in the country from 12 years and I recently got my ILR in July on basis on 10 year continue lawful resident in the country.

Student finance refuse my application as they told me that home office informed that not lawful in the country 3 year before the start of the course. So, I need to wait 3 years before apply for student finance.

I strongly believe this is wrong information given from home office, where my ILR was granted on the basis that I been living in the country lawfully from 10 years.

I have written a letter to student finance as asked to do another check and bring this to home office attention that I was not unlawful as my ILR was granted on lawful basis.

Please advise what else I can do in this case.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebillz1)
    My student finance been refused because home office check failed. I been living in the country from 12 years and I recently got my ILR in July on basis on 10 year continue lawful resident in the country.

Student finance refuse my application as they told me that home office informed that not lawful in the country 3 year before the start of the course. So, I need to wait 3 years before apply for student finance.

I strongly believe this is wrong information given from home office, where my ILR was granted on the basis that I been living in the country lawfully from 10 years.

I have written a letter to student finance as asked to do another check and bring this to home office attention that I was not unlawful as my ILR was granted on lawful basis.

Thank you
    This is interesting I don’t have much information but I’m here for answers
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Were all 12 years legally in this country?

ReputationRep:
    No reply from the reps yet?

This interests me, as i am also expecting SFE's response based on the Home Office check also. (Been waiting for over 3 weeks now).

ReputationRep:
    Hi i also have the same issue. Student finance are claiming that the HO can't confirm lawful status yet i have ILR i have provided this evidence already my ILR letter and biometric card and and they won't accept it. I even contacted the home office and was told those documents should prove my status. Its so weird that student finance do this i have even travelled recently used my biometric card and passport never had an issue with my status yet sfe won't accept it. I don't know what to do because i am likely to be kicked off the course if this isn't resolved asap. Have you had any updates about them doing another check?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1290)
    Hi i also have the same issue. Student finance are claiming that the HO can't confirm lawful status yet i have ILR i have provided this evidence already my ILR letter and biometric card and and they won't accept it. I even contacted the home office and was told those documents should prove my status. Its so weird that student finance do this i have even travelled recently used my biometric card and passport never had an issue with my status yet sfe won't accept it. I don't know what to do because i am likely to be kicked off the course if this isn't resolved asap. Have you had any updates about them doing another check?

Write to your MP stating all the details (dates, calls, attach copies of your evidence) and ask the office to intervene.

There is so much blatant discrimination and bias going on, i am ready to leave my course if i do not receive a favorable response from SFE, as i have applied for my British passport, so i will just reapply again next year.

Best of luck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanya W)
    No reply from the reps yet?

This interests me, as i am also expecting SFE's response based on the Home Office check also. (Been waiting for over 3 weeks now).
    This post isn't going to get a reply from the reps, as it hasn't been posted in the correct forum. I've now reported it and asked for it to be moved.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebillz1)

Thank you
    As we don't have access to accounts here I'm unable to view what the information returned by the Home Office in response to the check.

If you've already sent the letter requesting the check be submitted again and have no further evidence available then there would be an update once the process is complete.

The Home Office only allow us to sent a certain amount of checks each day. The queue is currently 15 working days long and the Home Office are taking around 10 working days to respond.

If you think a decision we have made in reflection to your funding application is incorrect, you may have the right to appeal. An appeal is a formal request to Student Finance England asking us to review our decision either on whether you are entitled to financial help or on the amount of funding we have awarded to you. More information on the process is available here.

Regards,

Stuart

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: November 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.