Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you for or against LGBT? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am bisexual and have a boyfriend. We’ve been going out for a year and we had a rough patch in the middle when I came out as bisexual, and now he says he’s fine with it, but we’ve not been the same...
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I"m for all of them, it's who you are.

ReputationRep:
    I am for this. Love is not about gender but about the relationship between people.

I don't know why a lot of guys behave like this, just because you've come out as bi it doesn't mean you're now going to be looking at everyone. If he trusts you it shouldn't make a difference

ReputationRep:
    I'm also bisexual. Your sexuality should not be a big issue in your relationship. Maybe your boyfriend simply does not know much about bisexuality. Perhaps, explain to him what bisexuality actually means. A lot of people believe bisexual people are attracted to every single person they see.

ReputationRep:
    I don’t see why who someone falls in love with is anyone elses business, whether it be a man or a woman.

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for bisexuality and all other forms of LGBT. It's none of my business who one is attracted to, just like it's nobody else's business that I'm straight. I have a friend who's bisexual and a brother who's gay. Whether or not you're gay, straight or transgender shouldn't matter to anyone. Being gay is in the genes, apparently. Whether or not that's true, LGBT people do not deserve the stigma they receive. I admire anyone who is brave enough to come out as who they are, despite the possibility of ridicule by self-endorsed homophobes. Like another user said, maybe your boyfriend doesn't actually understand bisexuality properly. Try explaining to him. You're still the same person as you were when you first started dating so the fact you've come out as bi shouldn't matter. If he loves you, he'll understand.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkeyhp1)
    I am bisexual and have a boyfriend. We’ve been going out for a year and we had a rough patch in the middle when I came out as bisexual, and now he says he’s fine with it, but we’ve not been the same...
    Hiya. Just a quick heads up- I'm going to move this over to the Relationships forum so don't worry if it's not where you left it.

I guess it's a bit different for him and he needs a little time adjusting. Obviously you're still you and haven't, but it's still new info and can take a bit of getting used to.
    I'd give it a bit of time to settle and as long as you still feel happy in the relationship don't worry about it.
    You might like to open up the potential for some honest talking too. He could be feeling a bit awkward cos he doesn't want to accidentally offend you.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Demi-Biromantic Asexual so I can relate in part. As others have said it really shouldn't matter if you're Bi or not it's not as if being Bi makes you any different in a relationship from a straight person. I think it might just be lack of understanding that leads people to assume Bisexuals can't stay in one relationship.
    I'm all for a society where a persons sexuality is as important to another person as how many times they blink in a day. It shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself who you get attracted to.

ReputationRep:
    I'm as much for or against it as I am for or against left-handedness.

Actually, that's not true; I am somewhat more in favour of LGBT folks than I am of left-handed people. LGBT people tend to have fewer kids on average, and the world is heavily overpopulated - they're doing us a favour in a way.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone of this generation who is against LGBT is in the minority. I am all for the movement and support it wholeheartedly. Bisexuality seems to be getting a lot of slack still because people don't understand that it' possible to be attracted to more than one gender. Your boyfriend may be one of those people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEmilyxx)
    Anyone of this generation who is against LGBT is in the minority. I am all for the movement and support it wholeheartedly. Bisexuality seems to be getting a lot of slack still because people don't understand that it' possible to be attracted to more than one gender. Your boyfriend may be one of those people.
    I agree with your point. I think it's mainly down to older people, and I don't mean old, being more set with the idea that straight is all that exists or that all else is wrong. But I want to clarify that I think the terms are still misunderstood by many people.
    Bisexuals are attracted to members of either the female or male sex. Pansexuals are attracted to any sex or gender. I'd say anyone attracted to trans people are closer to pansexuals and Bisexuals are just attracted to cis people of either sex. Gender is a concept, sex is the original body type expressed by the sex chromosomes. Others may disagree with me on these terms but from what I've seen and from this admission of possible disagreement, the terms clearly aren't as well understood as many other terms.

ReputationRep:
    Could not care less about them...

ReputationRep:
    Does your boyfriend think this means you're going to be attracted to every woman you see and possibly go off him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherika14)
    I"m for all of them, it's who you are.
    Okay, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashdabear)
    I am for this. Love is not about gender but about the relationship between people.
    I agree, thank you
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't know why a lot of guys behave like this, just because you've come out as bi it doesn't mean you're now going to be looking at everyone. If he trusts you it shouldn't make a difference
    What I was thinking, thank you, and we’ve said a lot about trusting each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    I'm also bisexual. Your sexuality should not be a big issue in your relationship. Maybe your boyfriend simply does not know much about bisexuality. Perhaps, explain to him what bisexuality actually means. A lot of people believe bisexual people are attracted to every single person they see.
    I understand what you mean. Thank you for this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    I'm all for bisexuality and all other forms of LGBT. It's none of my business who one is attracted to, just like it's nobody else's business that I'm straight. I have a friend who's bisexual and a brother who's gay. Whether or not you're gay, straight or transgender shouldn't matter to anyone. Being gay is in the genes, apparently. Whether or not that's true, LGBT people do not deserve the stigma they receive. I admire anyone who is brave enough to come out as who they are, despite the possibility of ridicule by self-endorsed homophobes. Like another user said, maybe your boyfriend doesn't actually understand bisexuality properly. Try explaining to him. You're still the same person as you were when you first started dating so the fact you've come out as bi shouldn't matter. If he loves you, he'll understand.
    Thank you for this. We’ve always been very open with each other so I hope it’s just his understanding getting in the way. Again, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Hiya. Just a quick heads up- I'm going to move this over to the Relationships forum so don't worry if it's not where you left it.

I guess it's a bit different for him and he needs a little time adjusting. Obviously you're still you and haven't, but it's still new info and can take a bit of getting used to.
    I'd give it a bit of time to settle and as long as you still feel happy in the relationship don't worry about it.
    You might like to open up the potential for some honest talking too. He could be feeling a bit awkward cos he doesn't want to accidentally offend you.

Hope that helps
    Yes I completely understand this. Thank you and I do want us to still have the same relationship. And sorry - thought I did. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    I'm a Demi-Biromantic Asexual so I can relate in part. As others have said it really shouldn't matter if you're Bi or not it's not as if being Bi makes you any different in a relationship from a straight person. I think it might just be lack of understanding that leads people to assume Bisexuals can't stay in one relationship.
    I'm all for a society where a persons sexuality is as important to another person as how many times they blink in a day. It shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself who you get attracted to.
    Yes many seem to think this. Thank you, you’ve all opened my eyes to this. I hope I can enlighten him

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.