Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are you for or against LGBT? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    It's a long explanation.
    Demi = Only forms feelings after a close bond has been formed.
    Bi = Either sex for attraction after the bond has been formed (Not any gender though as this is a little different)
    Romantic = Rather than Demi-sexual, a Demi-romantic only forms romantic feelings for someone and sexual interest never develops.
    Asexual = I'm using it to make it more identifiable. I feel like it clarifies my lack of interest better. Maybe many wont agree with me but I feel sexuality is so varied that most terms can be used loosely.

Putting it all together makes me feel like I know myself better. I used to identify as Bisexual until I started looking into demi-sexuality and other Asexual terms. For now at least, it works for me.
    Well now you're confusing me. Why add the 'Bi' when you're asexual anyway? And why does the term Demi exist? It varies per person how fast you develop feelings and as far as I know this has nothing to do with your gender.

I'm for everyone having a relationship with who ever they want to, but I don't understand all these terms and how you are on a spectrum. Maybe if you have the time you could explain to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xobeauty)
    I don't believe bisexuality is a thing .

Why do most bisexual girls end up with males?
    Okay. Not judging, just asking:

So, do you think people who are sexually attracted to both genders to just be liars?
    I can see the attraction in men and women. That’s exactly what bisexuality is.

How is it that you believe it doesn’t exist? 😊
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dutchstudent123)
    Well now you're confusing me. Why add the 'Bi' when you're asexual anyway? And why does the term Demi exist? It varies per person how fast you develop feelings and as far as I know this has nothing to do with your gender.

I'm for everyone having a relationship with who ever they want to, but I don't understand all these terms and how you are on a spectrum. Maybe if you have the time you could explain to me?
    It is a very complicated part of life. I'm still learning as well but not everyone likes using these terms, and some do. For me it makes me feel like I know myself better and there are different degree's of asexuality.

There are quite a few people that use Demi as they are people that just cannot form any sort of relationship without moving through from friendship first.
    Although I'm asexual, I feel I could get into a relationship with everything but sexual interactions, that bit repulses me. I have no problem with it, but for me personally I have a strong aversion to myself being involved like that. And I use Bi as well as I do get attracted to members of both sexes, however have no desire to act upon it in any way.

It's quite complicated and takes a long time to understand it properly. I've been researching it for five years and researching Asexuality for a couple of months so I'm getting more familiar with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know what LGBT is. Is it an actual organisation or just a group that anyone can declare themselves in? I've seen parades and it doesn't really look like anything specific in relation to its motives and goals. In general yes I am in favour of having gay rights and the like.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bio 7)
    It is a very complicated part of life. I'm still learning as well but not everyone likes using these terms, and some do. For me it makes me feel like I know myself better and there are different degree's of asexuality.

There are quite a few people that use Demi as they are people that just cannot form any sort of relationship without moving through from friendship first.
    Although I'm asexual, I feel I could get into a relationship with everything but sexual interactions, that bit repulses me. I have no problem with it, but for me personally I have a strong aversion to myself being involved like that. And I use Bi as well as I do get attracted to members of both sexes, however have no desire to act upon it in any way.

It's quite complicated and takes a long time to understand it properly. I've been researching it for five years and researching Asexuality for a couple of months so I'm getting more familiar with it.
    Allright this already clarifies it a little. Thanks and good luck with it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markovchain17)
    I don't really know what LGBT is. Is it an actual organisation or just a group that anyone can declare themselves in? I've seen parades and it doesn't really look like anything specific in relation to its motives and goals. In general yes I am in favour of having gay rights and the like.
    LGBT stands for Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender. Most the parades and stuff are to celebrate rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No this is just for me, as in I don't like being gay. It's a free world, other people should what pleases them most. But me - I don't see my future like this, with a man. It just doesn't seem... normal or natural to me at all. I don't think I can live like that and it's not what I wanted. At university, I hardly take much interest in the gay culture. It makes me cringe and it makes me feel uncomfortable. All the gays here are feminine, annoying, attention seeking, flamboyant who like to shove their sexuality down other people's throats - I do not want to be like that. What I hate is that I'm stuck in the gay capital of the UK for 3 years of university. I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be a mature, grown up straight masculine man, a wonderful husband to a beautiful girl and a great dad.
    But not all gay men act feminine? There are a lot of gay men who are very masculine and often get mistaken for being straight.

ReputationRep:
    It's 2017....who is still against it???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    But not all gay men act feminine? There are a lot of gay men who are very masculine and often get mistaken for being straight.
    He might be surrounded by only feminine gay men and not be aware of more appealing gay guys. I can't speak for anyone else on this though.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    He might be surrounded by only feminine gay men and not be aware of more appealing gay guys. I can't speak for anyone else on this though.
    Yes, this is very true. I feel this has been my experience so far at university.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    Well I identified as Bisexual for years, really until a little while back. Now I realise that I'm part of the asexual spectrum and so I've never really been interested in relationships. Realising more about how I've felt about this has been important and I've been quite comfortable with it.
    I'm glad that you're happy with it.

What about your family, do they know? Do they say anything about it? Like mine, they don't know and they're a bit conservative... let alone talking to them about evading my marriage. Most of my cousins are already married at 25/26/27

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is very true. I feel this has been my experience so far at university.

I'm glad that you're happy with it.

What about your family, do they know? Do they say anything about it? Like mine, they don't know and they're a bit conservative... let alone talking to them about evading my marriage. Most of my cousins are already married at 25/26/27
    Sort of. It was brought up briefly but then promptly ignored. My dad doesn't really care but does make reference to irritation at feminine gay men and lesbian women. I haven't really brought it up but if asked I won't lie. Since starting a new life for uni I've actually wanted to start being more vocal about it. I would hate to be in a family that would react terribly and kick you out for it. Video's like that on youtube are terrible.

(Original post by Bio 7)
    I'm a Demi-Biromantic Asexual so I can relate in part. As others have said it really shouldn't matter if you're Bi or not it's not as if being Bi makes you any different in a relationship from a straight person. I think it might just be lack of understanding that leads people to assume Bisexuals can't stay in one relationship.
    I'm all for a society where a persons sexuality is as important to another person as how many times they blink in a day. It shouldn't matter to anyone but yourself who you get attracted to.
    Stop making up sexualities. You're either straight, bi or gay. You aren't asexual.

ReputationRep:
    Stop making up sexualities. You're either straight, bi or gay. You aren't asexual.
    There is more than the range of sexualities shared by the majority of people. We may be in the minority but we do exist and terms for some can help to make them feel more comfortable for various reasons.

ReputationRep:
    i'm for the hot ones, the fat lesbians - not so much :no:

(Original post by Bio 7)
    There is more than the range of sexualities shared by the majority of people. We may be in the minority but we do exist and terms for some can help to make them feel more comfortable for various reasons.
    There isn't a range of sexualities because there isn't a range of genitalia to choose from. Like i said, you're either attracted to one gender or another, or both. Or none, if you hate humans that much.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a range of sexualities because there isn't a range of genitalia to choose from. Like i said, you're either attracted to one gender or another, or both. Or none, if you hate humans that much.
    You don't have to hate humans to not be sexually attracted to any. There are two sexes to choose from and multiple genders, however you can have different levels of attraction to different sexes or none.

Unless you are here to just try and cause an argument then do a bit of research before dismissing other people based on your own opinion.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coke1)
    It's 2017....who is still against it???
    russia

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.