Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is a Master's degree? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I'm in Yr 13 and am applying for undergraduate courses in university. I want do an MSci at Queen Mary, but I'm not sure what the criteria is. It does say that it's an undergraduate course, but I'm lost...

Also, loads of websites use MSc or MSci: any difference?

ReputationRep:
    An MSci is a 4 year degree, first, you do the Bsc content (for 3 years) then one year with MSc level content.

ReputationRep:
    Postgraduate certificate for those undergraduates
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeeves CP)
    Guys, I'm in Yr 13 and am applying for undergraduate courses in university. I want do an MSci at Queen Mary, but I'm not sure what the criteria is. It does say that it's an undergraduate course, but I'm lost...

Also, loads of websites use MSc or MSci: any difference?
    MSc tends to last for a full calendar year and is a postgraduate qualification.

MSci is an undergraduate masters qualification, meaning you do an extra academic year (notice how it's not calendar) on top of your three-year Bachelors degree.

If you need to get Chartered status, then doing the MSci means that you will meet all of the academic requirements to obtain such status (However, you can do the BSc then do an MSc instead to gain Chartered status).

The MSci is also funded in the exactly the same way as the rest of your three-year course meaning you'll be eligible for the tuition fee loan, and the maintenance loan.

You can get a postgraduate loan for your MSc, but it will probably just about cover your fees and not your living costs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.