Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I’m currently a 12th grader in Mongolia applying this winter to UK universities. I’ve already gave IELTS and got 7.0, but I hear some people saying that IELTS UKVI is needed for the UK VISA. Can you help me out on this?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinzorig)
    Hey guys, I’m currently a 12th grader in Mongolia applying this winter to UK universities. I’ve already gave IELTS and got 7.0, but I hear some people saying that IELTS UKVI is needed for the UK VISA. Can you help me out on this?
    It's essentially the same test with some additional bits if you plan to settle in the UK. What you have is enough to apply to study so I wouldn't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    It's essentially the same test with some additional bits if you plan to settle in the UK. What you have is enough to apply to study so I wouldn't worry about it.
    So are you saying it’s good for the visa? I’m just worried about the visa, not the application process
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So are you saying it’s good for the visa? I’m just worried about the visa, not the application process
    For the visa you will get a CAS from the uni which will state that you meet the English language requirements. That's all you need.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys so much, have a nice day
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys so much, have a nice day
    You need to ensure that the universities you're applying to are happy to issue a CAS based on a non UKVI IELTS.

UKVI IELTS is only compulsory for below degree courses (like international foundation/presessional courses) - for degree or masters courses then it's up to the university to state that they are confident about your english language ability based on whatever tests they accept. NORMALLY that means that a standard academic IELTS result will be accepted but you must check.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You need to ensure that the universities you're applying to are happy to issue a CAS based on a non UKVI IELTS.

UKVI IELTS is only compulsory for below degree courses (like international foundation/presessional courses) - for degree or masters courses then it's up to the university to state that they are confident about your english language ability based on whatever tests they accept. NORMALLY that means that a standard academic IELTS result will be accepted but you must check.
    So if I need to do a Foundation year before my entry to the main course (degree level), I MUST give IELTS UKVI?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    So if I need to do a Foundation year before my entry to the main course (degree level), I MUST give IELTS UKVI?
    Depending on how the foundation is classed by the university and UKVI then yes.

As I say you are best contacting the universities you're considering directly and asking them whether a non UKVI IELTS is ok for the courses that you're applying to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.