Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, I am writing this post to get some advice. I am currently a law student in Italy, unfortunately, I realized soon that it was not for me; even though I passed the various exams I feel like I am living someone else's life and I must admit I am a bit down in the dumps for this reason.
    Thus I'd like to change everything and start studying medicine as in these years I've developed a strong interest in medical sciences. My question is: is t wise to change everything and start studying medicine at 22?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horatio1)
    Hi everybody, I am writing this post to get some advice. I am currently a law student in Italy, unfortunately, I realized soon that it was not for me; even though I passed the various exams I feel like I am living someone else's life. Thus I'd like to change everything and start studying medicine as in these years I've developed a strong interest in medical sciences. My question is: is t wise to change everything and start studying medicine at 22?
    22 is still young. People still study medicine at 21-22 via graduate entry straight after their first undergraduate degree, so age probably isn't the issue.

ReputationRep:
    People start studying medicine in their 40s. There's absolutely nothing wrong with starting at 22!

ReputationRep:
    im 18, by the time i finish my 6 year degree im, 24, post grad is 4years, so you'll be 26, big deal, doesnt matter! Do what u want

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! 22 is young, I’m 24 and considering to study medicine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxbridge_)
    im 18, by the time i finish my 6 year degree im, 24, post grad is 4years, so you'll be 26, big deal, doesnt matter! Do what u want
    It's not 'postgrad' medicine, it's graduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody, I am writing this post to get some advice. I am currently a law student in Italy, unfortunately, I realized soon that it was not for me; even though I passed the various exams I feel like I am living someone else's life and I must admit I am a bit down in the dumps for this reason.
    Thus I'd like to change everything and start studying medicine as in these years I've developed a strong interest in medical sciences. My question is: is t wise to change everything and start studying medicine at 22?
    I didn’t start my first degree until I was 21, and graduated from that a fair few years ago and now applying to medicine... 22 is still very young, and even if it wasn’t age definitely shouldn’t put you off! GO for it!

ReputationRep:
    It's literally fine and what happens as a matter of course in the USA, Canada, and increasingly Australia too.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am 21 and have applied to study medicine for 2018 entry. It is so common for people over 21 to start their medical degrees as many people (like me) pursue them after they have completed a degree. If you need any advice please ask me!

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, follow your dreams! It takes a minimum 14 years from entering med school to be a consultant (provided you don't have a gap year / fail any exams / have a career gap etc.), and a minimum 10 years to be a GP (as above) under the current system. If you are a consultant at 36yo it's not old at all!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.