Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested to hear from any current students on the Leeds Liberal Arts course. How are you finding it? Does the topic structure work for you? Does it feel like a cohesive course? I know it's quite a new course so are there any teething problems? Any feedback gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EY1001)
    I would be interested to hear from any current students on the Leeds Liberal Arts course. How are you finding it? Does the topic structure work for you? Does it feel like a cohesive course? I know it's quite a new course so are there any teething problems? Any feedback gratefully received!
    15 Jan and still no replies! Note someone posted a similar question last year and got no replies - does anyone actually do this course!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm also waiting to see if anyone is ACTUALLY doing this course haha! Thinking of applying through UCAS extra...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsy_2018)
    I'm also waiting to see if anyone is ACTUALLY doing this course haha! Thinking of applying through UCAS extra...
    I'm going to the offer holder day in Feb so will hopefully find out more then - would just be nice to hear some TSR views before I go. It was a last minute pick for me after a disappointing open day took my fifth choice out of the running so I haven't been to an open day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to the offer holder day in Feb so will hopefully find out more then - would just be nice to hear some TSR views before I go. It was a last minute pick for me after a disappointing open day took my fifth choice out of the running so I haven't been to an open day.
    You'll have to leave a comment about how it went once you've gone: what the tutors are like, what the resources are like, etc...I'm really curious!

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to leave a comment about how it went once you've gone: what the tutors are like, what the resources are like, etc...I'm really curious!
    Will do!

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to do this when I got back but better late than never!

Had a lovely day at the offer holder day but I won't be accepting my offer.

Good points:
    It's a very small course. The course leader is really lovely and very enthusiastic about the course. The students were also very enthusiastic about the course and say the course leader is so supportive. The topic modules have been specially created for Liberal Arts. The sample lecture was very interesting.
    Not so good points:
    It's a very small course - only 30 students per year and this is only the second year so no one has graduated yet. Because of the numbers one module for example only had two students on it. Only spend one hour a week with half the cohort on the core module so I didn't get the sense of a cohesive group. The students I spoke to said they didn't feel part of anything in particular - not Liberal arts or their major.
    They are listening to the students but this means they are still changing the course - the core module changed last year after feedback - this is good and bad but I want to know what I'm buying in to.
    22 of the cohort are going on year abroad in year 3 so only 8 will still be in Leeds.
    Whilst the course leader and professor who gave the lecture were very engaging all the other topic leaders were very uninspiring. The way they spoke about their topics made them sound really boring - the way the students talked about the topic modules made them sound very lightweight. I went in feeling that I knew what Liberal Arts was for but left leaving a bit confused.

Finally it's a very girl heavy course - no boys at the offer holder day at all (not necessarily bad just a comment!) and no one was doing my major this year.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to do this when I got back but better late than never!

Had a lovely day at the offer holder day but I won't be accepting my offer.

Good points:
    It's a very small course. The course leader is really lovely and very enthusiastic about the course. The students were also very enthusiastic about the course and say the course leader is so supportive. The topic modules have been specially created for Liberal Arts. The sample lecture was very interesting.
    Not so good points:
    It's a very small course - only 30 students per year and this is only the second year so no one has graduated yet. Because of the numbers one module for example only had two students on it. Only spend one hour a week with half the cohort on the core module so I didn't get the sense of a cohesive group. The students I spoke to said they didn't feel part of anything in particular - not Liberal arts or their major.
    They are listening to the students but this means they are still changing the course - the core module changed last year after feedback - this is good and bad but I want to know what I'm buying in to.
    22 of the cohort are going on year abroad in year 3 so only 8 will still be in Leeds.
    Whilst the course leader and professor who gave the lecture were very engaging all the other topic leaders were very uninspiring. The way they spoke about their topics made them sound really boring - the way the students talked about the topic modules made them sound very lightweight. I went in feeling that I knew what Liberal Arts was for but left leaving a bit confused.

Finally it's a very girl heavy course - no boys at the offer holder day at all (not necessarily bad just a comment!) and no one was doing my major this year.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write this feedback - it's much appreciated. I'm actually not going to uni this year, so this review will help me with my decision as whether to apply again this September.

Thanks again!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Leeds
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Leeds
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 6 Oct '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.