Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in a really difficult situation. My boyfriend after 7 months is going in the army this January coming. I've known from the beginning he's wanted to do this and I've never understood how it all works. He's given me different stories and he's hidden a lot of the facts about it. We have been arguing for weeks on end and then we are okay because of him going to the army and he doesn't think I will be able to cope. I'm only young and want to enjoy my life and don't want to be left at home waiting feeling horrible but is that how I will feel? I do feel like I love him but sometimes it might not be enough ;( he seems to put an image across that going in the army is really easy. He says he will go out with the "lads" to the pub every night but I don't understand how you can do that when you are in the army? Please can someone talk to me through it at least give me an idea of how the process works

ReputationRep:
    Hey there my lovely, my boyfriend is in the army. It’s difficult to get used to the long periods of separation but it doesn’t mean you won’t get any communication at all. Being in the army for many guys is a dream and if, like my boyfriend, it is a dream you have to do what it takes to support him. The best thing you can do is keep yourself busy, allow your relationship to flow. In terms of the army process, my boyfriend comes home on a weekend, unless he has to work. He’s usually finished by 4/5pm so I can speak to him on FaceTime and on the phone. I spend the majority of the day texting him, and other social media. Being in the army is and isn’t different to a ‘normal’ life. You wake up, go to work, come back and then the evening is yours. I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm going to be joining the Army as an officer in a few years after Uni and Sandhurst so i know a good amount about the army, i can say he will be able to talk to you almost everyday and he will be able to go to the pub with the lads, If he's out on exercise he won't be able to talk much as he will be in the field doing drills, but its not like you see in the movies where the only communication is a letter sent every 2 weeks and you don't see them for months on end, you will see him quite often, weekends Etc. (depending on the base he is in) the times you won't be able to see him will be overseas deployment. the separation will take some getting used to but you just need to have one of his t-shirts or something and that might make you feel better. This is his dream, help him attain it, at the end of the day his work keeps you safe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.