Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will top universities like oxford / Cambridge etc accept people who haven’t gone to sixth form and instead to a city college. I did go to a top sixth form but had to drop out due to ill health and a family bereavement.

ReputationRep:
    The kind of school you went to doesn't matter when you apply, your reference should mention why you dropped out of the previous school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charn0t)
    Will top universities like oxford / Cambridge etc accept people who haven’t gone to sixth form and instead to a city college. I did go to a top sixth form but had to drop out due to ill health and a family bereavement.
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have competitive grades you should be fine and also have evidence of having a passion for your subject to make you stand out
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think top universities like Oxbridge and others (e.g. UCL, Imperial, LSE, Manchester, KCL and Edinburgh) admit students based on an academic excellence and potential to succeed in their chosen field.

I would like to argue that they are not often swayed by big name schools. Maybe, the ultra-elite schools like Eton, Rugby, Harrow, Wycombe Abbey, St. Mary Ascot, Shrewsbury, Winchester etc. may garner a second look at the application. However, i dont think elite universities are too influenced by the name.

They would rather take a A* kid from Cardiff Sixth Form than a C student from Marlborough.

My advice is to include any extenuating circumstances that you may have and i think these would be consider as part of your application on a "contextual" basis.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wired_1800)
    Maybe, the ultra-elite schools like Eton, Rugby, Harrow, Wycombe Abbey, St. Mary Ascot, Shrewsbury, Winchester etc. may garner a second look at the application.
    :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    :lol:
    What's funny? :erm:
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    It's fine - it makes no difference* whatsoever so long as you have (or are on target to achieve) the required grades for the course.

*If anything, going to a "less good" school/college can be a slight advantage. Cambridge takes things like that, and other contextual elements, into account when assessing your application.

See https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ontextual-data

ReputationRep:
    What's funny? :erm:
    No-one's going to 'garner a second look at [their] application' because they went to an expensive school.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    No-one's going to 'garner a second look at [their] application' because they went to an expensive school.
    That is what you think. You probably assume that all applications are considered the same. I dont think so, that is why there is contextual data to support different perspectives to different applications.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    That is what you think. You probably assume that all applications are considered the same. I dont think so, that is why there is contextual data to support different perspectives to different applications.
    Last time I checked you don't get a Contextual Flag for going to Eton.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Last time I checked you don't get a Contextual Flag for going to Eton.
    I agree
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I agree
    So why say they would get a "second look". Going to a privileged school doesn't mean the AT/DoS are more favourable. If anything it can disadvantage you slightly.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    So why say they would get a "second look". Going to a privileged school doesn't mean the AT/DoS are more favourable. If anything it can disadvantage you slightly.
    He even includes Manchester religiously as a top uni alongside Oxbridge and Imperial - you shouldn't be surprised at all :P
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    These were claims that i heard. Certain applicants from certain schools do get a second read. It is talk like this you get from the Union bar.

I did not go up to Eton neither am I directly related to admissions at any College to back this up with evidence. So i put my hand up.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Fergo)
    He even includes Manchester religiously as a top uni alongside Oxbridge and Imperial - you shouldn't be surprised at all :P
    Ok.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    These were claims that i heard. Certain applicants from certain schools do get a second read. It is talk like this you get from the Union bar.

I did not go up to Eton neither am I directly related to admissions at any College to back this up with evidence. So i put my hand up.
    Back in the day, some schools had close and preferential connections with specific Colleges. The connections may still exist, but not the preference.

Eton isn't even the top UK school any more - that's Hills Road* (state school).

*Applications-wise.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Back in the day, some schools had close and preferential connections with specific Colleges. The connections may still exist, but not the preference.

Eton isn't even the top UK school any more - that's Hills Road* (state school).

*Applications-wise.
    True, but we cannot ignore the fact that public school kids from specific schools appear to dominate entry to Cambridge.

I agree things are changing though.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    True, but we cannot ignore the fact that public school kids from specific schools appear to dominate entry to Cambridge.

I agree things are changing though.
    They've been changing for a while. There are many more maintained students than independent students at Cambridge. And it doesn't help anyone to perpetuate myths
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    They've been changing for a while. There are many more maintained students than independent students at Cambridge. And it doesn't help anyone to perpetuate myths
    It is not myth though. As a representation of the UK, Public Schools send more kids to Cambridge.

Public schools make up approximately 7% of all school kids, but had about 35% success rates.

Although we both agree that these numbers have been going down to reflect the UK, i think it is wrong to call it "perpuating myths."

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ply/statistics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.