Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting my nails done for the first time... what do I choose? Watch

ReputationRep:
    For a birthday treat, I decided I wanted to get my nails done for the first time. But I have no idea what to choose. Do I need my natural nails to be short at the time of the appointment? Is gel or acrylic better? Does anyone have any recommendations for which one to choose? How long does it take?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

They usually trim your nails during the appointment before applying the type of nail extension you'd like, so no need to do it yourself beforehand. Gel is meant to be better for your nails, but usually more expensive, plus (in my experience) they fall off a lot more easily!

Appointments usually take between 45 - 90mins, depending on how quick the person doing them is, and what you're choosing. Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    Hiya

They usually trim your nails during the appointment before applying the type of nail extension you'd like, so no need to do it yourself beforehand. Gel is meant to be better for your nails, but usually more expensive, plus (in my experience) they fall off a lot more easily!

Appointments usually take between 45 - 90mins, depending on how quick the person doing them is, and what you're choosing. Hope that helps!
    Thanks that really helps. Yeah I read that acrylics need to be redone every 3 weeks otherwise it gets messy and painful! That scares me a bit tbh. I don't want to spend too much because I also like food, but because it's my birthday treat I'm not opposed to my first time being a little more expensive. But then again I don't want to spend a lot if it turns out I don't really like them.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    Thanks that really helps. Yeah I read that acrylics need to be redone every 3 weeks otherwise it gets messy and painful! That scares me a bit tbh. I don't want to spend too much because I also like food, but because it's my birthday treat I'm not opposed to my first time being a little more expensive. But then again I don't want to spend a lot if it turns out I don't really like them.
    You can always get them removed or soak them off yourself instead of getting them redone there's no pain unless you get them caught on something, but this only happens if they're really long.

Just have a look at salons in your area and check prices. They usually offer student discount. Plus, go for a more natural look the first time to see if you like them (or just buy stick-ons for £2 from Primark )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by discobish)
    You can always get them removed or soak them off yourself instead of getting them redone there's no pain unless you get them caught on something, but this only happens if they're really long.

Just have a look at salons in your area and check prices. They usually offer student discount. Plus, go for a more natural look the first time to see if you like them (or just buy stick-ons for £2 from Primark )
    Thank you yeah I've booked my appointment now for tomorrow at Selfridges. Don't know how much it'll cost but I'm sure the price will vary depending on what I want. I prefer natural make-up and things like that so I think natural will go well. Thanks for your help!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Acrylics will wreck your nails. They file your nail to be paper thin - so whilst you can have the acrylics removed, when you do your nails will be so thin and weak that you need to wait months for your nail to grow out until they're back to normal. So unless you're planning on keeping acrylics forever it makes no sense - it's really not a one off birthday treat.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for gel/shellac and then pick your colour. French manicure, nude and red are classy
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Acrylics will wreck your nails. They file your nail to be paper thin - so whilst you can have the acrylics removed, when you do your nails will be so thin and weak that you need to wait months for your nail to grow out until they're back to normal. So unless you're planning on keeping acrylics forever it makes no sense - it's really not a one off birthday treat.
    Brilliant thank you yeah I decided to say I wanted gels when I booked. I don't think it'll be a regular thing because of the cost. Maybe once a year on my birthday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elisabeth1)
    Definitely go for gel/shellac and then pick your colour. French manicure, nude and red are classy
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Would highly recommend gel! They just put it straight onto your natural nail rather than adding extensions. You can remove gel polish at home by filing and soaking your nails and you don't have to worry about catching them or getting them infilled/redone every few weeks.

However, acrylics also work if you have very short nails and want longer nails!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by h.findlay321)
    Would highly recommend gel! They just put it straight onto your natural nail rather than adding extensions. You can remove gel polish at home by filing and soaking your nails and you don't have to worry about catching them or getting them infilled/redone every few weeks.

However, acrylics also work if you have very short nails and want longer nails!
    That sounds really good thank you the woman on the phone said gel lasts 4 weeks and will need to be soaked off, which sounds a lot easier than acrylic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrawTheLine)
    That sounds really good thank you the woman on the phone said gel lasts 4 weeks and will need to be soaked off, which sounds a lot easier than acrylic
    Yeah they're easy to get off and whenever I get mine done they always last ages!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.