The Student Room Group

Short story ideas?

For our A-Level English coursework, we have to write two pieces that are each 1,000 words long. I’ve decided to do two short stories, but I’ve hit a creative mental block and can’t think of anything to write about! One of them has to be aimed at children and the other at teens/young adults, but other than that we can write about anything. Is anyone feeling creative and can offer some suggestions?
Hi there Courtney! This sounds like a fun project :smile: have you tried thinking about subjects or scenarios you already know lots about, or something you are passionate about? For example, are you in a club or team that could inspire your story? Or why not try taking a really boring or mudane everyday activity, like making a cup of tea or eating some cereal, and turning it on its head - what would happen if any cup of tea made with that mug was magical? Or if touching the spoon in your cereal bowl transported you to a different place in time?

One of our Creative Writing lecturers, Duncan Dicks, often likes to offer this advice to students who are struggling with writers block: “In Dodie Smith’s I Capture the Castle (one of my favourite novels about the writer-unable-to-write), two key ideas are put forward: lock up the writer and don't let them out until they write: and write rubbish, or what seems to be rubbish, in an effort to loosen up the writing 'muscles'. They might seem crazy ideas, but they both work. The thing I hear most is 'I write a few sentences, realise they are terrible, and throw them away'. It doesn't take much of this to persuade yourself to walk away and do something else. Chain yourself to the desk and give yourself permission to write badly!"

I hope this helps Courtney - let us know what you choose to go with! :smile:
Lesley

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending