Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I recently conducted basic fieldwork using a ring infiltrometer to calculate the time taken for water to infiltrate the surface.

My tutor is requesting that I turn the value of time into infiltration rate (mm/h)

I have calculated the volume of the ring infiltrometer but I am unsure how to proceed in calculating the infiltration rate using the value I obtained of time.

I would be grateful for any help as I cannot find any equations online to aid me!!

thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with soil science so if this sounds wrong to you, you probably know better.

On the basis of this document, it wouldn't appear to me that you need to know the volume of the ring infiltrometer since it cancels out with the cross-sectional area and the only thing you need is the depth of water? Assuming you have a constant infiltration rate, all I think you need to do is divide the depth of water in the infilitrometer (in mm) by the time taken for the water to infiltrate the surface (in hours) to obtain the average rate of infiltration over that time period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    Disclaimer: I don't have any experience with soil science so if this sounds wrong to you, you probably know better.

On the basis of this document, it wouldn't appear to me that you need to know the volume of the ring infiltrometer since it cancels out with the cross-sectional area and the only thing you need is the depth of water? Assuming you have a constant infiltration rate, all I think you need to do is divide the depth of water in the infilitrometer (in mm) by the time taken for the water to infiltrate the surface (in hours) to obtain the average rate of infiltration over that time period.
    Thank you very much, that is exactly what I needed for things to click and make sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.