Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m browsing through my course entry requirements and does anyone know what a uni specifically means when they say they consider individuals that have been away from education for a while on a case by case basis?

If I’m going to apply through UCAS I’m afraid they’ll just see the grades I got years ago & just ignore my application, how do I stick out without the best grades?

I understand mature students are favoured for their enthusiasm but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to demonstrate my personal love and knowledge for a subject which I don’t necessarily have formal qualifications in.

I hope this makes sense, thanks everyone
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kimberley! It's great to hear that you're excited to apply to university. Please let me reassure you that no university will just ignore your application . Since you haven't been away from education very long, your existing qualifications are probably enough to get you onto the course (if your grades are high enough). However some universities say that they consider applicants who have been away from education for a while on a case by case basis as older qualifications might be more complicated to process, or might not be advanced enough to get you onto the course. However, if you're really worried, I would recommend giving your preferred university a call to ask what this means to them and how you can make sure your application is a strong as possible. Admissions staff are always friendly and helpful, so don't be afraid to ask them all your questions!

Also, don't forget that your personal statement is there to demonstrate your passion, knowledge and experience of the subject you are applying to - use this section to really sell yourself.

I hope this helps Kimberley! Good luck. Lesley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimberleyTheresa)
    I’m browsing through my course entry requirements and does anyone know what a uni specifically means when they say they consider individuals that have been away from education for a while on a case by case basis?

If I’m going to apply through UCAS I’m afraid they’ll just see the grades I got years ago & just ignore my application, how do I stick out without the best grades?

I understand mature students are favoured for their enthusiasm but I’m not sure how I’m supposed to demonstrate my personal love and knowledge for a subject which I don’t necessarily have formal qualifications in.

I hope this makes sense, thanks everyone
    Mature applicant here! You'll notice pretty much every University state that they will consider every application on a 'case by case basis' and 'holistically'. In practise? Well, we just have to accept that they will do what they say they will do!

In terms of your grades, my GCSE's are very old now, I was advised that the best course of action would be to take an Access to HE course. This would provide the University with evidence that I am able to commit to study whilst also providing a recent example of my academic credentials. Most Universities will offer this advice so i'd consider looking in to it! 45 Level 3 Distinctions give you the equivalent of AAA at A-Levels in terms of UCAS Tariff so i'd like to think that this would make you competitive in some of the tougher courses/uni's.

In terms of passion and enthusiasm, your personal statement is a great place to show this off. Just remember, the majority of 18 year olds applying for Uni manage to show their enthusiasm and passion for a subject, I'm sure you can too! Applying for Law? Talk about how you have gone to Court and watched a case and read further into something that happened. Applying for Computer Sciene? Talk about something perhaps you've code. You get the gist

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much, both your replies were super helpful. I’ve been emailing the admissions for the course I want to do & they’ve told me the access course I need to do so I’m going to enrol on that ASAP 😁
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimberleyTheresa)
    Thanks so much, both your replies were super helpful. I’ve been emailing the admissions for the course I want to do & they’ve told me the access course I need to do so I’m going to enrol on that ASAP 😁
    Good on yah. I finished my access course earlier this year and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.